contractor recommendations for new inground pool

leh3December 23, 2010

Home is 20 miles north of Atlantic City, New Jersey Exit 58 Garden State Parkway Tuckerton area. Looking for companies to get quotes for inground pool installation after winter. Not sure if we want gunite, one piece fiberglass or liner type. Thinking approximately 12' x 20', 4' deep throughout, rectangular. All contractor recommendations appreciated plus any additional comments welcomed.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poolguynj

Given I am 10 miles North, I can but before I do, the biggest thing you want to decide on is budget followed by understanding the process, and on going needs.

That size pool might lead me to think that and on ground might be a reasonable option to consider.

Scott

Bookmark   December 23, 2010 at 7:33PM
leh3

Thanks for the response poolguynj. Before deciding on a budget range I was hoping to get "ball park" figures for the different types of pools I listed in the original message then formulate in what direction we might move. This is going to be a birthday surprise for the wife in about 10 days. Your comment about an on ground pool is of interest although once she receives the gift I think she will be leaning strongly toward the in ground variety. But your further comments may have merit toward the final decision. Always open to any recommendations and suggestions.

Bookmark   December 30, 2010 at 7:07PM
poolguynj

Many PBs have a minimum dollar value before they will consider digging. Spending $20K for something in ground that will get you just as wet as a $5K (including a big deck) on ground pool of the same size and depth with a lot less disruption and fewer challenges seems like good sense to me. Any pool you get helps our economy and industry. Some on ground pools can be partially buried

Please, visit some PBs or call them and ask. Watch out for the "Don't worry about that" answer because it isn't an answer.

The size of the pool you mentioned leads me to believe that there might be a space issue. Can you get a hoe and bucket loader back there?

You should also check your town's requirements for special requirements like setbacks, impervious ground cover, easements, fencing, water table concerns, etc... Talking to the township engineer beforehand will be time well spent.

I neither sell nor install new pools. I just fix and augment existing pools. This is by my choice, not because I can't. This site has some of the best builders and service pros with great ethics ever assembled. There are some in the industry, just like any other industry, that put the dollar ahead of all else. It comes up and bites homeowner at contract completion or shortly there after. We try to counter that.

Happy New Year!

Scott

Bookmark   December 30, 2010 at 8:30PM
leh3

Once again thanks for the info. I did speak to the town engineer about a year ago and there appear to be no issues regarding setbacks, easements, fencing and water table concerns. Hoe & bucket loader can get to the rear yard. The pool size is something my wife has mentioned in the past that she didn't want anything to big or deep if we ever decided to purchase a pool. Once her birthday comes I'll let her read your comments and would expect the process to begin. Happy New Year to you as well and thanks again.

Bookmark   December 31, 2010 at 2:57PM
womanowned

PoolguyNJ is very knowledgeable. You won't go wrong using him

Bookmark   December 31, 2010 at 3:52PM
More Discussions
HELP!! Pool color and pricing with Pebbletec
Help please and fast!! When we started our pool I told...
tonyagrieser
Exceptional Pool Builders who build in Cleveland, OH area?
My wife and I are beginning the design stage of our...
jc_ufl
New Pool Build in Cypress near Houston
This is my first post. I'm so excited to get started...
suzfromtexas
Please evaluate my quote for new pool build
I recently received the following quote for a vinyl...
alf87
AquaShield pool enclosure
I have AquaShield pool enclosure for less than two...
aquashield2
Sponsored Products
Aged Bronze Ceiling Fan with 52-Inch Contractors Design Washed Walnut Birch Blad
$133.95 | Bellacor
Outdoor Ceiling Fan: TroposAir ProSeries Builder 52 in. Outdoor Pure White Ceili
Home Depot
Brushed Nickel Ceiling Fan with 52-Inch Contractors Design Dark Oak Blades and A
$109.95 | Bellacor
Napoleon Park Avenue Direct Vent Fireplace with Electronic Ignition - GD82NT-PAE
Hayneedle
kathy ireland Home by Martin California Bungalow Wood Bookcase with Doors Multic
$535.00 | Hayneedle
WerkMaster Buffers & Polishers Scarab Countertop Polisher 001-0124-00
Home Depot
American Fyre Designs Grand Phoenix Outdoor Fireplace - 818-05-N-SD-RUC-NAT
Hayneedle
Escea Ferro Bronze Florentine Gas Fireplace - FIRL033
Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™