need help choosing powder room lighting

michoumonsterMay 14, 2012

Hi all,

I am trying to put together a contemporary powder room, with mediterranean feel. I am having a hard time with the lighting, which I think will be the most important aspect that ties everything together.

I was wondering if you could suggest some lights for my powder room?

I can do pendant, or wall sconce, or hanging, or even a combination.. There is no window in the powder room, so lighting will be important.

This is a pic of a sideboard I got off craigslist that I plan to turn into a vanity. I plan to stain it a browner tone, more like walnut.

I

And I will probably put on a marble top. And use an undermount sink as the vanity is pretty high.

Here is the faucet I will use on the wall

Here is the tile I plan to use all the way up the wall. But I am not sure if I should use it in combination with the vanity -- maybe it might be too much/too busy? If not, what tile should I use? My preference is for something very light colored since the powder room has no natural light..

thanks for any advice!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
springroz

You need those lights that 2littlefishies from the kitchen forum had, but I believe returned. They may have been too large, but the style would have been perfect!

Nancy

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 6:11PM
michoumonster

hi springroz, thanks for the suggestion. i just searched for the lights you mentioned on the kitchens forum by 2littlefishies. I think the style would work, but it seems too dark for the bath.
also, i am worried if i might go overboard with the mediterranean theme if i use lights like that plus the tile? i am not a skilled decorator, so i need everybody to help me filter all of the options out there!
thanks!

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 6:52PM
michoumonster

hi all, i put together a pic of all of my working elements. PLease let me know what you would change. i am just not sure if it looks right. i want to find a balance so that my powder room can feel contemporary and not too ethnic or traditional mediterranean.. thank you for any advice!

i just picked a random mirror to put in the pic. not sure it works..

what lights would you think go with this? something like this? or would this be too much?

or should i make only the lights mediterranean and do a simpler tile like white subway? or go with simpler lights and stick with the arabesque tile?

simpler styled lights like this?

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 1:55AM
Annie Deighnaugh

Wow that's a lot of pattern.
Do you need to tile?
Perhaps a wallpaper would be more subtle and add color, or just paint.
I love the vanity with the marble and would want that to be the star. Then your light fixture will stand out more as well.

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 7:26AM
michoumonster

hi annie, now that you mention it, i guess that is why it feels too busy-- though i like the tile by itself. i don't have to tile, but thought it might make a statement and brighten up the powder room. though i guess white paint would be just as good. maybe i can add a marble backsplash in order for the wall mount faucet to keep the walls dry.
i will play around with it some more and post another pic.
thanks for the suggestion!

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 1:58AM
ajc9

What a pretty piece!

I agree..the tile seems to be too much. To me, it's kind of a cold feeling perhaps?

I like the pendant! It has the pattern that you like too...

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 6:14AM
More Discussions
Do you have a blog?
Not sure what the houzz rules are (snicker at myself...
the_foxes_pad
Baseboards and door molding
my baseboards are dark-stained wood to match wood floors,...
valmooreinphx
where to buy a high quality leather recliner
We need to replace our queen ann, high leg recliner....
Lynn Owens
Art height...opinions
i'm hanging six botanicals above table. Do you think...
Kitch4me
Update on mcm landscaping - slow but sure progress
The concrete patios are in, but still curing. They...
rockybird
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™