Totally confused about pricing and assessment.

jane__nyMay 9, 2009

In this market, how do you determine asking price when there are no comparables? In my area (small, upscale area 40 mins from Manhattan), houses have been sitting since last year. The last house to sell was Jan 09 and is not a comparable.

Met with two Realtors today and they said they will have to pull houses further North to figure a price. They stated that many houses have contracts, but banks are slow in issuing mortgages. I check Trulia and Realtor.com to watch for any houses which sold and there haven't been any.

Should I use my Town assessed value or a bank appraisal? How should this be handled? BTW, I think both of these appraisals are incorrect as housing prices have dropped. My Town (called them today), state that they haven't had one house sell for less than their assessment. They told me I could challenge the assessment.

Jane

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
linda117117

I'm not sure what challenging your assessment has to do with determing your asking price to sell. Typically, people want to challenge their assessment if its higher than the market value in an attempt to lower their taxes.

When you say there are no comparables, do you mean in your particular neighborhood? Appraisers usually will go within 3 miles outside of your neighborhood but in a similar neighborhood to find comparable properties and then make adjustments to come up with a number.

The town assessed value usually isnt your market value because they are usually done every few years to many many years ago. An appraisal would be good to use if it was done within the last six months.

Bookmark   May 9, 2009 at 7:22AM
More Discussions
Being Sued for Home Sale
We had our home built in 2003.It was our dream home.Half...
camsgt
Why would nosey realtor say these things?
It is clear my house lacks a wow factor. I over de-cluttered...
belfastbound
Best time to List a House
Is there a best time to list a house for sale? We have...
hayden2
escrow account for a repair
We received an offer on our house! The house is priced...
karin_2009
Preparing to list starter home w/o dishwasher etc.: how big a problem?
When I bought it and redid the kitchen, I replaced...
gramarows
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™