What style are these cabinets?

ILoveRedApril 22, 2013

They are not inset are they? They are not overlay. What are they? I really like this kitchen.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I think they are inset, but each "unit" whatever that is from top to bottom sits in the same inset rather than each door or drawer front being inset.

I have also seen an "inset" appearance created with full overlay where a filler and an overlay are placed between individual cabinets. --But this looks like true inset.

    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 11:03AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

They are inset without any horizontal rails. Which makes them structurally suspect for long term usage. Or else they have horizontal rails occupying space inside the inset, overlaid with the doors, taking away space from your storage.

    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 11:58AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Inset with continuous face frames is the highest end custom stuff. They are not individual boxes screwed together, they are solid units. Judging by the price, they probably took every precaution to prevent warping, like solid dividers between drawers so it stays ridiculously solid and nothing untoward can travel from drawer to drawer. In fine furniture, these are called dust panels or separators.

    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 12:09PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo


I am curious about what makes them "structurally suspect"? How is it different from frameless cabinets that don't have horizontal rails either?


    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 12:16PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks. Sound like something the average consumer probably could not or would not spend $$$ on. Is this kitchen the same type of cabinetry? So pretty. Sounds like they are not practical either.

Thanks for all of the knowledgable responses.

    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 12:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Casey is right, I had a full overlay on my uppers but it was full overlay over a full face frame over one continuous unit for one bank of uppers and one continuous unit over my other bank of uppers.

    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 12:22PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
KitchenAid Mixer - Sea glass or azure blue
I'm having a tough time deciding between the Sea glass...
Unusual granite
I have searched for other pictures of this granite....
Karran quartz sink?
I really like the look and supposed durability of the...
Closet pantry or not?
I am doing a reno of our kitchen and wanted to get...
Horrible exsisting kitchen layout. Help.
I need help with a bad kitchen layout. Very narrow...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™