what size area rug for 18'x17' family room?

cottonpennyMay 6, 2012

I want to buy an area rug now for our new house cause I want to make sure I don't pick a paint color that clashes with it.

The room is 18x17. Unfortunately, the one request DH had when we built was to have carpet in the family room so the rug will be decorative only, but I still want one.

8x11 seems like it might be good if it was hardwood, but maybe since it's carpet I can get by with a 5x8?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lauriedeee

It depends. What do you want the decorative carpet for?

If you plan on putting it under a coffee table, then 5x8 is a good size.

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 6:24PM
peaches12345

If you plan on a conversation area of sofa/chairs/tables in front of a fireplace or tv, then I would draw out to scale the measurements of the area of the room where this will be and measurements of the furniture and placement within that area. Then you will hava a good idea of the size of the rug you need. 5x8 might be a bit small for an area like that in a large room.

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 6:46PM
justgotabme

Our Gentleman's Parlor is 18 by 18 with a walkway along one length. We have a nine by eleven area rug. I can't imagine having anything smaller.
I agree with Patty to draw up a scale floor plan with the furniture placement before you buy a rug if you really want to buy a rug now. Personally from experience of building three homes I'd wait until you were in the home. You won't really have a feel for what works until you are in the home.

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 12:32AM
More Discussions
Baseboards and door molding
my baseboards are dark-stained wood to match wood floors,...
valmooreinphx
TV show Perception set decor
If you haven't watched the show, it's a good one. But...
Annie Deighnaugh
Best mirror for misaligned light and faucet?
The light over our bathroom sink is not centered over...
amj0517
Can you ID this trim?
Does anyone know who makes this trim? I am trying to...
Snbtwins
HGTV Fixer Upper show
I have been reading in blog land about HGTV's new show...
ratherbesewing
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™