Where do you stash your stockpot(s)?

purrusApril 5, 2013

Hi everyone,
In our remodel we are having all lower drawers and not cabinets except for one bank, because of my two stockpots. However, I am rethinking this--I hate to give up a couple of lower drawers because of my stockpots. I wonder where other GWers store their stockpots, since I know this is a drawer-loving crowd.

I am thinking that I might get rid of the really huge one, since I almost never use it. The other one could just go in the bottom of one of the pantries surrounding the fridge. Then, I could have all my drawers. :)

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annkh_nd

I rarely use mine, so it's on a top shelf of an upper cabinet. I can't reach it without a stool, but DH can (and he does most of the cooking).

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 9:56AM
purrus

DH uses ours all the time to make pasta. So, I feel like it needs to be really accessible. I also don't think ours would fit in an upper cab... too tall/wide.

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 9:58AM
localeater

My biggest stockpot is either 16qt or 20 qt size. I can't recall. It is 7 3/4 " tall without the lid and it fits in the second drawer of a three drawer stack to the left of my range. It fits in the drawer with the lid on and the lid stands 2 1/2" tall. Most all my pots, and lids are in this one drawer. The few exceptions include 2 cast iron skillets, and large Le Creuset covered casserole.
My lobster pot which is a huge granite wear thing and my 26qt pressure canner stay in the cellar utility room. I am ok with them being downstairs as I use those pots less. My stock pot gets used frequently.

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 10:10AM
lascatx

I have 4-8 qt in the drawers under my cooktop along with the other pots and pans. They fit in the deep drawers just fine, even stacked 2 or 3 deep and are used daily or at least several times a week. I also have tall pasta/steamer pots, a 16 qt canning pot and I think a 20-something quart we bought for a chili cook-off that are stored in the cabinet above the fridge. My lids are in the drawer to the side -- under the micro drawer.

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 10:15AM
purrus

oh! Above the fridge cab is a good idea! Mine's 16.5 inches tall. I don't know how tall my stockpot is though... must measure when I get home.

THEN I CAN HAVE ALLLLLLL lower drawers!! :)

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 10:17AM
ginny20

I measured my largest pot - 12QT - and made the bottom drawer deep enough for it. If I turned the lid upside down, I could store an even taller pot in that drawer. So all my pots and skillets are in drawers right under the cooktop.

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 10:19AM
Suzi AKA DesertDance

I'm wondering the same thing because our new cabinets are being designed, and I have two HUGE stock-pots... Well, one is my grandma's canner, and I love that old navy porcelain, white spotty thing! My stainless one might not work with the new induction cook top... Didn't think of that till now.......... Color me sad.

We are taking advantage of the demo, and putting the old cabinets in the garage and elsewhere, so I'm sure I can fit them both somewhere. Happily, the garage is a step from the kitchen in our new home.

Good luck finding space!

Suzi

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 10:19AM
badgergal

Mine is above the wall oven. It has one adjustable shelf so it can accommodate any height pot.

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 10:25AM
may_flowers

Mine is in the over the fridge cabinet. In my small kitchen, it would have been a waste of drawer space to design a drawer base around one stockpot.

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 10:36AM
legallin

Mine is in the lazy susan. Not sure what size it is,

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 10:41AM
cat_mom

We store ours in a drawer in our island:

Smaller pots, incl 4 qt A-C soup pot, pans, and their lids, are stored in pull-out drawers (in the cab next to the range).

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 11:28AM
beekeeperswife

My really tall/oversized stock pots live in the walk in pantry. I used to keep one of them in a drawer in the old kitchen--it was a set of 2 drawers, so they were deeper.

If you do decide to keep it over the fridge (excellent idea) consider a rollout shelf up there to help get to it.

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 11:48AM
Angie_DIY

Also above the fridge.

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 1:46PM
nycbluedevil

We have a hinged window seat with storage below. Our tall 12 quart pot goes in there, along with the grill brush, boxes of trash bags and our tall drip coffeemaker which we don't use anymore.

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 1:59PM
drbeanie2000

We keep ours in a deep drawer, but there is no drawer or cabinet that I can imagine that would hold that kind of canning pot, at least, if yours is like ours. That goes in the basement.

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 2:16PM
suzanne_sl

I put all the large pots in the super susan in the corner.

The large pressure canner is there on the bottom shelf along with the smaller pressure cooker and a couple of large stew/chili type pots. There is one more that belongs there, but I made chili last night, so it's in the refrigerator. The top shelf holds the wok, the crock pot, the blender (in two pieces), and several colanders. This would only work for stock pots if they were 12" tall or shorter.

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 2:26PM
purrus

I just measured--and my stockpots will both fit in the cab above the fridge. YES!!! I can have all lower drawers. :) :) :)

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 3:47PM
a2gemini

Yeah!! - Also, see the other post - I put mine in my Super susan which I think you have in your plan - my colanders are in my SS as well and I can sneak them out without opening both doors.

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 4:10PM
weedmeister

Top shelf of my pantry, along with slow cooker, pressure cooker, stand mixer and other things I don't use that often. My 5qt pasta pot lives on top of the pan rack.

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 4:46PM
taggie

Ours are in a 15" deep drawer underneath the drawer microwave.

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 4:52PM
More Discussions
Kitchen Plan... getting closer!
I wasn't pleased with the idea of having to separate...
Dietitian
Neolith polished Classtone?
Has anyone seen any of the new neolith classtone surfaces...
nels1678
Layout review needed- please give feedback!
I think I'm getting closer to finalizing a plan for...
melis918
Anyone recognize these cabinets?
From a Cancos tile ad. Cancos says they have no info....
jenmendel23
am I being too picky?
Ok, is my perfectionism is out of control..... I bought...
bicyclegirl1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™