thoughts on changing sellers agent mid-sale
Hoping to get your opinions and useful feedback.
Our first mistake was finding a realtor 'by chance'...we cold called the local William Pitt/Sotheby's to ask for an appointment to view one of their listings and were assigned the desk duty agent. She was fine as our buyer's agent, and once we found the house we wanted to buy, most of the negotiating was done between the attorneys, so the agent wasn't heavily involved.
Our problems really began when we signed her as our seller's agent nearly one month ago. We decided to use her because she told us repeatedly that she was "very confident" our home would sell "within three days" as she had a "whole list of interested buyers" just waiting.
We signed with her for only one month and I explained that if we were satisfied with her/her agency's efforts on our behalf, we would be happy to extend our contract. In the last three weeks, we have had a good number of showings, but no offers, though our realtor claims that several parties are 'close' and have been back with parents/contractors, etc. She is encouraging us to drop our ask price by 55k (list is 1.050 m).
I am unhappy with 1) her communication style, which is overly hyped about 'potential offers' that don't materialize 2) the agency's unwillingness to service us - they refused to place our home in the paper more than once (which resulted in our open house not being advertised in the newspaper) saying they will only buy paper ads for clients who sign a contract for longer than 6 months. I spoke directly to the manager about his as I was so unhappy with their stance (after all, they had marketed their full suite of services to us and there was no mention of 'no newspaper ads if you only sign for one month). The manager was extremely rude to me saying, ma'am...you just don't understand. etc etc. and 3) lack of info from our realtor - I have to ask for nearly everything that's relevant - a list of more up-to-date comps, a list of homes that are pending, closed, etc. within our price range.
So - can we and should we try to find a new sellers' agent once the contract expires next week, or do you think that's just creating too much ill will within our (small and intimate) realtor group in town? I am afraid of being blackballed. Are we being unreasonable or within our rights?
thoughts would be much appreciated.