Insight on plan

raya7694April 1, 2010

We like this plan and would love any suggestions. TIA!

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Plan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terriks

Did you mean to post this in the building a home forum?
I have to say that I don't like the placement of the powder room right next to the front door. Maybe you could swap it with the closet across from the stairs.

Bookmark   April 1, 2010 at 11:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bmrbabe

There will be noise from the lower level to the upper level with the vaulted ceiling. If you have small children and entertain at night, they could be kept awake, especially since those rooms are closest to the open area.

Do you really want the dining room in the front, right off the foyer? It will be a hassle to haul stuff from the kitchen. It would make more sense to have the DR where the study is.

In fact, I would use the entire back of the house - family room, kitchen and study as a great room, and have the study where the dining room is. I would then put French Doors to the foyer from the new study (old DR).

Think about how you live now. What would you like different? What doesn't work now? I am a big fan of Sarah Susanka (Not So Big House books), and could envision an "away" place tucked in there somewhere.

I also hate having a half bath facing out the front of the house, but that's just me. The door has to be kept closed so that it isn't the first thing guests see when they walk in the house!

If it were my house, I would have NO vaulted space to the second story, but instead have larger bedrooms and maybe even a third bathroom between the 11 x 13-8 bedroom and the vaulted space - a jack and jill, with pocket doors on each end of it, and a double sink. If you did that, then bath #2 could be directly accessed from the adjoining bedroom while also having an access point from the hall.

Good plan to have the laundry on the second floor where the bedrooms are!

Bookmark   April 1, 2010 at 11:56PM
More Discussions
How to Flip. Remodel doubles price of house
The prices are San Francisco values, but it's a terrific...
sushipup1
Realtor company fee
Buyer agent told me there is $300 fee to realtor company....
net42k
Driving A U-Haul, Towing A Vehicle Transporter
Well after all the looking and reading we have decided...
splais
Best time to List a House
Is there a best time to list a house for sale? We have...
hayden2
For those of you who have swapped out your brass hardware....
For those of you who have swapped out your brass hardware,...
Lizzie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™