Over analyzing cup pulls

rebecca3142April 3, 2014

I am mulling over my hardware choices for my white shaker cabinets. These are my two favorite styles.

I slightly favor the handle pulls for the esthetics, but I am worried about damage to the paint finish (factory finish) behind the bar. I am concerned that the paint might get scratched more easily. With the cup pulls, it might still get scratched but it would be hidden by the design of the hardware.

Any thoughts on this?

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
opphop

I, too, agonized over our pulls (like for a couple months) and while I like cup pulls, I wanted the option of putting my hand in from the top or the bottom. Good for tall people, too We drawers for our bottom cupboards rather than doors, so we put the pulls on their sides. Wish I had a picture, but hopefully you get the idea.

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 10:01AM
crl_

Regular pulls are easier to use and that always gets my vote for kitchen decisions.

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 10:55AM
Linelle

Love the regular pulls. There's no scratching under the ones I have. Unless you have very long, sharp talons.

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 11:09AM
ajc71

They are both very nice, may I ask where you found them?

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 11:29AM
terri_pacnw

I like the both..but I am prefering the open pull. Seems to have a good amount of clearance too. So very few people should actually reach the cabinet face when they grip it.

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 12:16PM
greenhaven

I will throw in for the first choice, myself. If they were a matte finish I might be more inclined toward the cup pulls, but the chrome finish calls for the first, IMHO.

linelle's comment about talons gave me Napoleon Dynamite flashbacks and a good chuckle. "Do the chickens have sharp talons?"

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 12:20PM
feisty68

Regular pulls are more ergonomic and IMHO look nicer in many situations.

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 12:26PM
rebecca3142

Haha, no long talons here! Thanks for the input, I am going to do the first option. They are from Restoration Hardware. I have read on this forum some bad things about their hardware, so I am going to try and find the same style in another company.

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 10:06PM
feisty68

Lee Valley has a great selection of pulls.

Bookmark   April 4, 2014 at 12:50PM
kompy

I love my Belcastel pol.nickel pulls. And, by the way, I had cup pulls in my last kitchen and hated them....especially for the bottom drawers.

They have a few sizes and a knob to match. I did all knobs on upper cabinets and pulls on all lower.

If you have inset cabinets, consider knobs on uppers. I personally think that pulls are too heavy looking on them, OK on the lowers though.

Heres a pic of my kitchen.
KOMPY

Here is a link that might be useful: Jeffrey Alexander Belcastel

Bookmark   April 4, 2014 at 1:41PM
Elraes Miller

I'm off the list for selection. Love my cup pulls, the look and easy to grab. Have seen the first ones many times. For those not in old houses, they are actually old window pulls. If you like them, look at the hardware section. They are stronger and far less in cost than as a cupboard pull. Available in a range of finishes.

Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 10:39AM
breezygirl

Hi Rebecca. My entire kitchen is outfitted in those RH Aubrey polished nickel pulls, mostly in the 6" and 8" lengths. Almost 2.5 years later, I still love them. I agonized over my pull decision for months as DH immediately rejected the Aubrey as something that belonged in the garage shop. Eventually he gave in and is happy with them also. I am glad I didn't do cup pulls. I frequently grab the pulls on my lower drawers from the top. Having to reach all the way down and under to get under a cup pull would be bothersome to me.

I just took this photo a few minutes ago to show you that there is no damage/wear/discoloring on the cab faces behind the pulls. (Ignore how the top drawer still needs adjustment after my rangetop was repaired.) The projection is sufficient enough that my hands do not bash the cabs. Plus, I usually clean my hands before I reach for pulls anyway so as not to dirty the pull itself.

As to the suggestion that you can find these pulls cheaper, been there done that. If you want polished nickel or if you want chrome/stainless in a size larger than 3-4", there is only one choice--RH. The window sash pulls are not polished chrome, nor do they come in longer sizes. I searched dozens and dozens of hours online only to come up empty and frustrated.

Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 2:46AM
Texas_Gem

I love the look of cup pulls but it only took me about a week of paying attention and being conscious to realize that I grab pulls from the top and not from the bottom.

Once I realized this, it was a no brainer, go for the function over the aesthetic.

Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 3:51AM
rebecca3142

breezygirl - Am I remembering correctly that you did polished nickel for your pulls and chrome for your faucet? What made you go with that combination? Also, how is the nickel holding up? I've read one or two posts that had negative comments on RH polished nickel, and it has made me nervous enough to consider a different finish. I am very finicky about durability. Thank you!!!

Bookmark   June 19, 2014 at 6:10PM
More Discussions
What do you think of this idea for IKEA Sektion door fronts?
I am going to put in IKEA cabinets and it don't like...
enduring
Walnut slab for island with sink
We are building a home and I am considering using a...
sherry0117
Kitchen Layout opinions
Hi, due to some plan changes (for expense reasons)...
sfstanek1
ROHL faucet help
I want to buy a Rohl faucet, because I know they have...
michelle16
Sink Window - counter depth or slightly raised?
(I'm trying to limit my queries to 1/day - you have...
Carrie B
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™