smooth flagstone coping edge?

lbphathead19December 9, 2012

Just wondering what most have seen. Where the flagstone coping meets the concrete deck do most PB make it smooth or keep it more naturally jagged. I think if they make it smooth it will look too unnatural. what does everyone think.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poolguynj

I prefer the clean look of cut edging. The jaggedness looks unfinished to me and can double the length of the expansion joint needed where it meets a concrete deck.

Scott

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 6:00AM
lbphathead19

Thanks for the input. Another question, what is the typical product used for that expansion joint. It should be flexible, right?

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 1:59AM
poolguynj

There are a number of self leveling caulks that are made for this. The mason often does this with his preferred choice in the color of your choice. It comes in 3 or 4 colors, depending on the brand used.

Some PBs will set and leave a tear away foam form to separate the coping from a poured deck. This may last a short time but it needs to be replaced before it deteriorates and starts letting water penetrate.

Scott

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 5:33AM
lbphathead19

i just spoke with my PB he said he uses a masic that will stay flexible, called decko seal. He also recommended that I take the edges of the flagstone, he said it gives it a more "finished" look.

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 7:00PM
More Discussions
Inground pool contractor recommendations NJ
Looking for inground pool contractors for Tuckerton,...
leh3
Plaster mottling???
It's been 13 days since we had the pool replastered....
lisadlu
Is it safe to build a vinyl inground with pyrite in the soil?
I have been trying to find information about excavating...
jo229
Pool Filter Question
Should my pool filter run 24/7 or less than that? I...
JeremyLin
Need new pool filter help
I don' t mind spending the money for a good pool pump...
echooooo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™