spa hottub above ground (New England) NEWBIE

bicoastalDecember 12, 2010

anyone familiar with "Bullfrog" brand? am curious about the moveable "jetpaks" which allow different configs to be swapped out and are claimed to be more energy efficient (a relative term outdoors in winter!!)

also, generally, when not in use and in order to keep hot tub available for winter use, what kind of energy usage (some avg per 24 hrs) is likely in temps 15-40 degrees Fahrenheit

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poolguynj

I have seen them but not worked on them.

I can't see them being significantly more energy efficient than similarly equipped, pump power wise, tubs. The biggest heat loss is at the surface. A proper fitting cover, high quality is key to locking in heat.

I do like the concept of the interchangeable backs but that would remove calf jets, something some people want or need. The packs help to reduce the number of holes in the tub, which reduces the number of gaskets to dry out. It also reduces the plumbing lines in the cabinet but outside the shell. Most tubs have lots of spray foam which serves to insulate the sides some but most importantly, holds the plumbing steady in shipping so vibrations don't knock anything loose.

Figuring out energy usage is tough. The things to consider are pump configuration, i.e. how many and how big, economy vs standard modes of operation, accessories, your usage patterns, etc...

My customers have told me in the past that the bill usually goes up between $25 to $50 per month.

Scott

Bookmark   December 19, 2010 at 9:28AM
More Discussions
My pebble sheen finish is so uneven...
Our pebble sheen finish was completed on January 1st...
Susan Scearce
HELP!! Pool color and pricing with Pebbletec
Help please and fast!! When we started our pool I told...
tonyagrieser
Transition between two DiamondBrite colors
Trying to figure out best way to do this. Will be doing...
jscozz
J.L. Blodgett abandons pool project
I wanted to send along a note of caution to all members...
ctm14
New Pool Build in Cypress near Houston
This is my first post. I'm so excited to get started...
suzfromtexas
Sponsored Products
Hand-tufted Green Artistic New Zealand Wool Rug (6' Round)
Overstock.com
Thomas Eyck | t.e. 037 Cushion - Light Red
YLiving.com
15752AZT Bronze 12.4 Watts Medium Kichler LED Landscape Light
EnvironmentalLights.com
ELK Lighting 69029-1 Schoolhouse Pendant - 8W in. Silver - 69029-1
$146.00 | Hayneedle
Andalusia Royal Outdoor Lounge Chair Canopy, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
8417 4" Trim by WAC Lighting
$25.50 | Lumens
People viewed this after searching for: