Stains Below Spa Jets

steina64November 9, 2012

Two of our spa jets closest to the spillway have what look like rust stains below them; none of the other spa jets or pool return nozzles have these stains. I can remove the stains but they're back within a week. FWIW, the pool and spa share the same pump, filter, heater etc. in Lake Havasu City AZ. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poolguynj

Iron in the water is my guess. You need to test the levels of iron and calcium in addition to your alk and pH.

Scott

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 9:35PM
steina64

Scott - If iron and calcium are causing the stains, why aren't the other 3 spa jets and all 7 pool returns showing the same stains?

Steve

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 11:24PM
poolguynj

Without knowing how much water is passing each return, my guess is the spill jets get the most. Test and report your water results.

Scott

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 8:44AM
steina64

Actually, the spa jets have very little flow (valve barely open 99% of the time) compared to the pool returns; just enough for the spillway to flow.

Steve

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 5:02PM
poolguynj

With a single pump system, this is usually not the case, Steve. The return valve doesn't offer that great a granularity to allow this normally.

Scott

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 8:24PM
steina64

Iron & calcium both checked OK by my pool guy and Leslie's; with my hand I can barely feel any flow from the jets (just keeping the spillway going), while the returns are blasting away with no stains. I'm wondering if some re-bar is poking thru the PVC that drives the 2 affected jets, although I've noticed no leaks.

Steve

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 4:29PM
natural_one

How do these spa jets differ from the rest? All I see is that you mention they are under the spillway. Normally a spillway is a damwall and is usually built (by default) thinner than the other walls of the spa (unfortunately). With plumbing in that dam wall as well, it has less concrete density to it, and can have weak points of coverage over plumbing and....you guessed it, rebar. It could even be as simple as tie wire holding the rebar that is out of the shotcrete and in the plaster. I've seen steel guys use tie wire to hold a spa jet in place as they steel a pool/spa. It's one of the reasons my preshotcrete inspection by my guys includes tamping down all tie wire and measureing for all shotcrete coverage over steel. Did you use a pool builder or did you go OB?

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 7:44PM
steina64

They're not under the spillway, they're on either side and look no different from the others except for the stains. The pool/spa and house were built in '02; we bought in '05.

Steve

Bookmark   November 22, 2012 at 12:48AM
renovxpt

You can determine if the stains are iron buy holding a vitamin C tablet on them for about a minute. They will go away if iron. Its been my experience that these stains are more likely to happen when the velocity of the water is slower and more frequently occur when the eyeball has been removed. Maybe its because the metal is more likely to come out of solution?

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 8:15PM
poolguynj

Metals, especially iron, comes out of solution with higher pH. The ascorbic acid of the Vitamin C tab puts it back in solution. The metal possibly being a rebar wire tie may have merit.

Scott

I

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 10:20PM
More Discussions
Putting in a pool/new backyard, opinions on all-in-one company vs
Hello, I'm looking for some info and opinions from...
CitznFish
Baffled by my pool- peeling skim coat?
Hi all! My in ground concrete pool is leaking... I...
sabine77
Inground pool contractor recommendations NJ
Looking for inground pool contractors for Tuckerton,...
leh3
Pool Filter question
Hi All, I'm new to this board. Thanks in advance for...
austinyankeefan
Basement pool - How to prepare the room?
With some slight modifications to my garage (dropping...
Alex House
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™