Rock Waterfall Problems/Questions

sdemjsullyNovember 12, 2012

After nearly a three week delay, the rock waterfall guy came out last Friday to build our waterfall. We got a smallish waterfall (3' H x 5' L x 3' D).

Anyway, we have numerous concerns/issues with this structure:

1. Is it safe? There are no footers supporting the wall...just mortar.

2. Ledge overhangs into pool, and I (I'm 6' tall) cannot sit fully straight up under the ledge, as the top of my head hits the ledge.

3. The open back of the wall...this looks incomplete.

I've tried uploading pics, but the GW site won't allow the upload. I'll keep trying.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated. We have the PB coming out to inspect the waterfall in the next day or two, and we're thinking of asking them to just rip this out and do it right (and to our specifications, which was a stacked stone look, not boulders).

Thanks all.

Steve

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poolguynj

WRT the look desired, what is in writing?

We don't know what you bond beam dimensions, concrete specs and steel sized are so we don't know that you need additional footings.

Scott

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 8:25AM
sdemjsully

Hi Scott,

The size of the rock waterfall and the use of real rocks (not faux) are stipulated in the agreement...not a specific design.

Having said that, I'd think that the waterfall should not have the back exposed, where the white PVC pipe is visible from the ground up to the top of the wall, and I can see the cinder block that was placed behind the rocks. Also, the back has a loose pile of crushed stone visible, along with chunky patches of mortar spread out. There are also several rocks that the waterfall contractor didn't use in the wall, but left behind.

It looks unfinished to us, and several people, including our landscaper, who also does pool waterfalls. We paid for a 3x5x3 custom rock waterfall (custom, in that we design it with the actual contractor). The rock waterfall as built is 1.5'H x 7' L x 1.5'D . So, in my mind, and others as well, it was not built to spec.

Am I being unreasonable in thinking that they should rip out the crappy wall that's been built, and rebuild it according to our actual specs?

Thanks.

Steve

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 8:56AM
poolguynj

Well, being that it's out of the design specs by so many characteristics, I don't think it should stay.

As for the open back, that usually requires some fill and should have been done as a pretty up.

Scott

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 6:02AM
More Discussions
Small 3/4' mosaic waterline tile - mistake?
Hello, We're getting ready to sign our contract, and...
oakrunfarm
Obsessing over pool finishes
Hello all, I am looking for any and all advice on pool...
megankheaps
Please recommend a good pool builder in Southern California?
Hello, We have had a hard time finding a trust worthy...
dpautz
Diamond Brite and River Rok pictures requested
I've been following this board forever, and after years...
styler32
Automatic Pool Covers for Inground Swimming Pool
We are looking to purchase an automatic pool cover....
Christy Bell
Sponsored Products
'I Got You Babe' Wrapped Canvas
$26.99 | zulily
Eastwood Leather Armless Sofa - Brighton Zinc Beige
Joybird Furniture
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs
Home Depot
Standard Waterfall Cedar Chest
Fifthroom.com
Schonbek La Scala Collection Crystal Mini Chandelier
Lamps Plus