closing insurance?

JamieApril 22, 2011

We plan to buy the next home before closing on the current one. The time difference is just a couple of weeks. The buyer of the current house has all his ducks lined up and the deal looks very solid.

Also, the price of the current home (the one we are selling) is very realistic.

Is there somebody out there who sells insurance that buys the current house from you if a deal falls through? Seems like there should be. This deal will only fold if seller dies or is fired or the like.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Lloyd's of London will insure just about anything, for a price.

A large company I worked for used Lloyd's to re-insure employee life insurance when field service workers had to operate in war zones.

    Bookmark   April 23, 2011 at 9:00AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I imagine the premium for any such insurance would be a fairly large chunk of change, say $20K, so that if your deal fell through they could cover the price reduction needed to get it off their books. To merit a smaller premium, they'd have to do a ton of due diligence on the deal, to judge the probability of the deal falling through. And by the time they did that, it would be closing time.

    Bookmark   April 23, 2011 at 9:58AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
What qualifies an offer as a "low ball"?
Hello! Im on the house hunting side of things now! I...
Home Buyers Please Vote: Would you rather ...
1. A $2,000 kitchen appliance allowance or any stainless...
Retiree - rent or buy home
We are newly retired and have a plan to sell our current...
Hall bathroom with claw foot tub, garden view but no shower.
We have a 4 bd, 3 bath house that I am getting ready...
What would you do? Stay or Remodel?
We just bought a new house. It's somewhat of a starter...
Sponsored Products
Yellow Floral Embellished Large Jewelry Roll
$11.99 | zulily
33 Inch Customizable Bathroom Vanity Set
Chantant Stainless Steel Four-Light Round Medium Flush Mount with Clear Heritage
Sofa Dog Bed
Grandin Road
Teddy Lounge Chair & Ottoman in Oatmeal
Dot & Bo
New Super Kazak Runner 3'x13' Floral Geometric Blue Hand Knotted Wool Rug H3429
BH Sun Inc
Indoor Fan and Light Kit: Design House Ironwood 52 in. Satin Nickel Ceiling Fan
Home Depot
Simic Credenza - Medium Medium
Joybird Furniture
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™