Pool Renovation Questions

gsterNovember 1, 2011

We have an 80s era pool that has a few cracks in the pool deck that have migrated to the 2X6 coping tiles and have cracked them. We need to repair the pool deck by cutting out the cracks and filling and resurfacing the cut outs. We would also like to replace all of the 2X6 tiles . . . we were "blue skying" about replacing the coping tiles with coping bricks by cutting back the existing pool deck (concrete) to allow the bricks to sit flush with the existing pool deck. Not sure if this is insane or a reasonable idea . . . comments?

Also, our pool renovation company suggested that we resurface the pool by filling areas damaged when a hurricane collapsed the pool screen, applying a bond coat and applying new gem coat . . . the pool surface is pretty good considering the age . . . a little yellowing in spots but generally sound . . . should we consider an acid wash as a less expensive alternative? I don't want to do a half baked job but I am not sure I can tell between what is NEEDED versus what is NICE TO HAVE . . . As you can tell . . . money is certainly an object . . . opinions welcomed!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poolguynj

I don't know who said it first but a picture is worth a 1000 words. ;-)

Please post some pictures. Put them in a Photobucket album(it free) and use the 3rd option, one pic per line.

Scott

Bookmark   November 2, 2011 at 3:35AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
coastal_concepts

A quick way you can tell for yourself is how rough the plaster feels to the touch. Good plaster should be as smooth as smooth gets. If your plaster has a rough or semi-rough texture then it is time to consider a replaster.

Acid washing can be compelte to remove stains but will also make the texture worse than it is already. Plaster can last 10-15 years with proper water management but you are not going to get much more than that. You likely do need a new plaster coat but perhaps a secon opinion would be best.

Bookmark   November 7, 2011 at 11:41AM
More Discussions
Remounting aluminum track for a cover in a salt water pool
I've got a CoverPools automatic cover for my saltwater...
nick_shirley
Obsessing over pool finishes
Hello all, I am looking for any and all advice on pool...
megankheaps
I will answer pool plaster questions
For 23 years I was in the swimming pool plaster industry...
poolplasterexpert
Please recommend a good pool builder in Southern California?
Hello, We have had a hard time finding a trust worthy...
dpautz
Transition between two DiamondBrite colors
Trying to figure out best way to do this. Will be doing...
jscozz
Sponsored Products
Frasier Leather Sleeper Sofa - Brighton Energy Pink
Joybird Furniture
Casa Sorrento 16 3/4" High Bronze Post Mount Light
$49.99 | Lamps Plus
Nelson | Lantern Lamp
$285.00 | YLighting
Island 2-door Buffet
Overstock.com
Baltimore Orioles Garden Flag
$8.99 | zulily