land sale question

craftycApril 18, 2009

We are trying to buy a piece of land and now the seller wants to back out of the deal...no explaination, other than they have "changed their minds" . Can a seller back out of a land sale deal if there is a signed contract and a deposit on the land? they have asked us to "voluntarily withdraw our offer to purchase" and they will return our deposit. We do NOT want to withdraw our offer and want to continue with the deal! thanks for any advice.... Know that we will probably have to consult an attorney, but was wondering if anyone had any similar dealings?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
triciae

Your contract will tell you what the seller can & cannot do...that said, if they refuse to accept funds and/or transfer title about your only recourse is to file a civil suit for breach of contract. You'll have to front attorney fees, court costs, & it could take a long time. If your suit eventually prevails a judge may, or may not, award you costs...no assurances either way.

/tricia

    Bookmark   April 18, 2009 at 4:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
craftyc

wonder what the odds of prevailing are and why wouldn't the contract be binding?? I hate the thought of getting involved with law $uits !!!!
Triciae: thanks for your food for thought!

    Bookmark   April 18, 2009 at 8:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
berniek

Most RE contracts require arbitration/mediation before a law suit.
As the buyer, you probably can sue for specific performance and damages (damages are normally difficult to prove) by the seller. The threat of legal action might convince the seller to proceed with the sale. Depending on the value of the transaction, an attorneys letter to the seller can make a difference.

    Bookmark   April 19, 2009 at 12:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
craftyc

Thank you both for your comments about this...appreciate your replies. This has been "weird" from the beginning...first they called us and offered us the land for a certain price, we said "yes". then it was listed with a realtor at a higher price, we again said "yes" and signed a contract and gave a deposit. Then months after the closing was supposed to take place, they decide they didn't want to sell it. Then a couple of weeks later, they DID want to sell it. Now for the second time they have told us they have changed their minds. We finally wrote and told them (they won't return our phone calls) that they should honor their ethical, moral and legal commitments and proceed with the sale. Haven't hear anything since then!

    Bookmark   April 19, 2009 at 1:48PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Home closing delayed or is it a wash-out?
Hello everyone, I am a new poster, but have enjoyed...
housesellerc
Realtor company fee
Buyer agent told me there is $300 fee to realtor company....
net42k
Lady Realtor coming to house at 6:30pm and its dark outside?
I was looking up homes for sale around me on trulia...
tlbean2004
Happy story: my sis just bought her first house
Just thought I'd share a happy story! My sister's been...
robo (z6a)
can he evict us?.
almost a year ago me and my girlfriend and her 5 yr...
Joseph Gonser
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™