Remove Carpet and Install Wood Floor?

mugnainiApril 4, 2012

We live in Northern VA in a home valued +/- $650K. The main floor has hardwood, except that the living/dining area is carpeted (carpet is in good shape). We have received a $4K quote to remove the carpet, install unfinished hardwood, and refinish the newly installed wood floors, and the existing wood floors to match. We will sell the home in three (3) years. I am interested in views -- from a saleability perspective-- regarding whether you would incur the expense to remove the carpet and install hardwood floors, or not. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chispa

I would incur the expense and we did when we bought last year. We refinished hardwoods downstairs and added all new hardwood upstairs. Will you enjoy the hardwood? Your 3 years might turn into 5 or 10, so you might as well do an improvement and enjoy it yourself for a few years, as opposed to doing something just before resale.

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 3:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Billl

If you are doing it to make money, I don't think you will. If you would like more hardwoods and will appreciate them in the meantime, you'll probably come pretty close to breaking even at resale time.

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 4:00PM
More Discussions
Preparing to list starter home w/o dishwasher etc.: how big a problem?
When I bought it and redid the kitchen, I replaced...
gramarows
can he evict us?.
almost a year ago me and my girlfriend and her 5 yr...
Joseph Gonser
Getting house ready to sell and have door knob question.
My house is going on 11 yrs old. Everything is pretty...
padillasideas
Home closing delayed or is it a wash-out?
Hello everyone, I am a new poster, but have enjoyed...
housesellerc
escrow account for a repair
We received an offer on our house! The house is priced...
karin_2009
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™