Need Help with Design for Diving Pool with Large Shallow End

ccpNovember 15, 2010

Hi everyone,

I would love some help. We are designing a pool right now. We want to have a diving board and deep end for diving, but would also like to maximize our shallow end. It sounds like everyone uses the shallow end the most. Any ideas on design that would allow for a good diving (deep end) ,but allow for us to maximize the shallow end. Our current pool design is freeform and about 20x40, although we are open to changing it or making it slightly larger.

I was thinking about making it a more L shaped pool with the diving board going the width of the deep end. Is that even possible.

Your thoughts.

I appreciate all of your great insite and have spend countless hours reading this forum. Thanks everyone.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jasonlmarsh

You're going to lose at least 1/2 of your 40' length to keep the appropriate slope for a diving board. One thing you might do is have the pool widen at the transition so the shallow end has more width & play area than the deep end.

Bookmark   November 15, 2010 at 1:47PM
jasonlmarsh

Another thing you might consider is using a jump rock instead of a diving board. The slope can be much shorter & steeper if you dont use a diving board, and that will gain you several feet more in the shallow end.

Bookmark   November 16, 2010 at 9:12AM
topfiftybuilder

You'll lose 24'11" regardless of a board or a rock... (diving code is diving code) over 6' in dpeth... if you truly want a large shallow end make the pool as large as the budget will allow... also consider a wide freeform.... my 800 sq ft FF has a shallow end 28 ft wide.... the deep end only needs to be as wide as the diving template...

Bookmark   November 17, 2010 at 6:44PM
zookeeper93

While our shape is not very innovative (it looks like a boot),
it takes care of our needs very nicely. I can't put my hands on the plans at the moment but I'll try to recall and attach some pics.
I think the total length on the long side (of the grotto) is 36.6 feet.
The total length of the shallow end is 27-28 feet. I do not recall how wide the shallow end is, but it has been more than adequate.

The depth is 8-9 feet (I think it is deeper but cant remember why)the amount of footage for torpedo-ing (?) is more than required (I think 2 feet) because the slope from shallow to deep is sharp.

Our shallow is 3'x 3.6 x 3. Our 15 yr old is 6 ft already and the youngest is 5.2. The depth is perfect for all to enjoy and not feel "out of the water" or "over their heads".

Bookmark   November 20, 2010 at 12:21PM
ccp

Thanks for the help. I think we decided on a depth of 9ft and we are going to make the pool about 43 ft long. I am going to upload our plans shortly. Trying to figure out how to do that.

Bookmark   November 23, 2010 at 1:20PM
houseful

That was exactly my concern as well. We went with a lazy-L shape and it has worked out perfectly!! We had about 25 people in it one day this summer and the divers did not interfere with the litte ones in the shallow end at all.

Bookmark   December 1, 2010 at 8:15AM
More Discussions
HELP!! Pool color and pricing with Pebbletec
Help please and fast!! When we started our pool I told...
tonyagrieser
I will answer pool plaster questions
For 23 years I was in the swimming pool plaster industry...
poolplasterexpert
Please recommend a good pool builder in Southern California?
Hello, We have had a hard time finding a trust worthy...
dpautz
AquaShield pool enclosure
I have AquaShield pool enclosure for less than two...
aquashield2
Atlantis pool and spa (Magnolia Tx) anyone have any feedback?
Searching for a pool builder and looks like Atlantis...
makingbeacon
Sponsored Products
Laminate Wood Flooring: Mohawk Flooring Northern Maple 3-Strip 7 mm Thick x
$1.58 | Home Depot
Yoga Direct Professional 8-Inch Core Training Ball - YD249-BLUE
$12.99 | Hayneedle
Robert Abbey Tilton Swing Arm Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Abba Satin Dark Blue Drum Twin Pull Chain Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Offset Stainless Steel Kitchen Sink
MR Direct Sinks and Faucets