is it bad to overfill a pool? It's raining a lot!

Fori is not pleasedNovember 30, 2012

It's raining here and our pool is filling up. The water line is up to the coping and we're just getting started with the rain.

Is that a problem? If it makes a difference, the plaster is pretty new but the coping and deck need to be replaced. It won't freeze.

I should probably know this, but it just doesn't rain here and the idea of rain overfilling a pool seems preposterous.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jump427

pump some water out, its not good to overfill. depending on type of coping water can get behind shell and cause problems and its eaiser for dirt, runoff or other garbage thats flooding around you to get into pool.

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 1:19PM
Fori is not pleased

Thanks Jump. It's uhhh I don't know. Concrete. But I don't know how it's put together. The coping and concrete are pretty much shot at this point in their life and will hopefully be redone next year but I don't want any serious damage of course. Looks like this and was installed in 1961:

I don't think it will actually spill over but I doubt it has a very good seal between tile and coping. (And I don't know if there is even supposed to be a seal there. Still learning this pool stuff.) Is there most likely a thing on the pump that I can open to drain the pool?

Thanks!

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 3:25PM
poolguynj

Extended periods of months will weaken the coping bond and can penetrate the thinset. Short periods won't do much. When it stops raining, just lower the pool. Since this isn't exactly swimming season, redoing the coping and tile next year will be fine.

Scott

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 6:36PM
Fori is not pleased

Thanks!

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 12:03PM
More Discussions
Pool Filter question
Hi All, I'm new to this board. Thanks in advance for...
austinyankeefan
Forty year facelift: OKC pool renovation
Hi everyone! I've been chronicling our pool renovation...
MiaOKC
Please recommend a good pool builder in Southern California?
Hello, We have had a hard time finding a trust worthy...
dpautz
Regular Pool Cover or Automatic Cover?
Although our pool project is getting pricier every...
southernmum
salt or chlorine? pebble or plaster?
We have finally decided to build a pool, and have had...
lostinthewoodlands
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™