Newbie Hot Tub Owner - Questions On Chemicals

gil_happyNovember 10, 2013

Hello,

I am a first time hot tub owner and I'm in the process of having my electrical contractor come out to my home and complete the electrical connections to my HotSpring Grandee Hot Tub which I have 'inherited' from my neighbor while he is renting.

I have a question namely about chemicals and maintaining the water. There is lots of information on the net about how to maintain and treat the water with different chemicals.

Does anyone have a suggestion about what chemicals to purchase (maybe ones that aren't so harsh to the body and swimming suit?) and testing equipment? I'm very new to this and the subject and I'm looking for any information that will help me out.

I'm sure Amazon.com probably has everything I need, but I need help navigating the process.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
keithw

I have owed a hot tub for 25+ year and have tried most sanitation methods. Here is what I have found is most effective.

A. For sanitizer use Bromine tablets in a floater.
B. Use Mule Team 20 to raise ALK and Baking soda to raise PH. Until you get a feel for them do very small amounts. That is all that you really need to monitor. Buy a test strip kit that tests all three.
C. Get a second filter. Swap them every week, spray out the removed one well and leave it outside until the next swap. The sun and elements kill nasties.
D. Drain, clean and refill every three months minimum. Hard to say if you should do more frequently, it is based on how much you use it. But unless it is a huge tub, they do not take that much water and a drain and refill is always better that trying to fix bad water.

Bookmark   November 14, 2013 at 8:01AM
cparlf

Concur with keithw on all points, except swapping the filter. Depends on use. If a lot, agree. I would add the less you worry and fritter the better. Be easy on yourself, it is easy to over manage the water. Go for close not precise levels else you will lose your mind, over treat the water. Ever pilot a boat? Same thing. You can oversteer yourself into a frenzy.

Enjoy it, the winter is our fav time.

The only suit to wear is the Birthday suit.......

Bookmark   November 15, 2013 at 12:51PM
gil_happy

Thanks very much for the feedback.... my hot tub is 500 gallons and I plan to use maybe once or twice a week. Most of the time it will be just myself or one other person.

Thanks again

Bookmark   November 19, 2013 at 8:06PM
DwayneHutchins

I use bromine tablets, there aren't as harsh as chlorine but then they dissolve much slowly than chlorine. If you have problem with the odor of chlorine then I suggest you use bromine too. Other than these two I have heard of mineral sanitizers used as cleaners in the hot tub which doesn't cause much odor or are harsh to our body. But on the flip side these are relatively expensive and doesn't clear water like the other two.

Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 11:32PM
barbaragraham

The sanitizers and the algaecides are helpful to keep your hot tubs denver very clean.. Also you can call the professionals sometimes for the proper maintenance of your hot tubs..

Here is a link that might be useful: hot tubs denver

This post was edited by barbaragraham on Thu, Oct 30, 14 at 1:19

Bookmark   October 30, 2014 at 1:18AM
clarionspacustomersupport

Hi, please don’t consider this as a ‘hard sell’ but you may be interested to know that Clarion Spa www.ClarionSpa.com have developed a high quality and excellent ‘value for money’ 3 step hot tub water care range, which are CHLORINE AND BROMINE FREE, easy to use AND environmentally friendly.

You can have effortless weekly water care with Clarion Spa’s patented 5-in-1 Active Silver Oxygen pouches, a quarterly purge and drain deeper clean with the 2-in-1 EcoPurge Power Puck, and then top up or refill your hot tub with the scale and contaminant free Mineral Ball Water Filter. That’s it, just 3 products! There is absolutely no need for multiple, expensive, ineffective products and you should not need the additional expense of test strips and balancers etc either, where you are essentially just bathing in a chemical cocktail! Much has been written about the safety and nasty effects of traditional hot tub chemicals so I won’t expand on that here, however please do carry out some internet research of your own and that will help you to make your own informed decision about which products are best for you and your family.

All Clarion Spa products can also help to extend the lifespan of your hot tub as chlorine will not be discolouring the hot tub shell, making plastic components brittle or building up chlorine salts within the internal operating system. Nor will water source hardness and impurities be building up scale around the shell or within the internal operating system.

Please do visit www.ClarionSpa.com for further information about each Clarion Spa product. There you will also find some Help Guides and Top Tips to ensure that you have a safe, clean and luxurious hot tub experience. The preferred retailer for these products is www.ProjectPool.co.uk.

Thank you and happy hot tubbing!

Bookmark   March 18, 2015 at 7:34AM
More Discussions
AquaShield pool enclosure
I have AquaShield pool enclosure for less than two...
aquashield2
Diamond Brite and River Rok pictures requested
I've been following this board forever, and after years...
styler32
Obsessing over pool finishes
Hello all, I am looking for any and all advice on pool...
megankheaps
should pool building take this long??
I signed a contract July 19th with Mr. Carlos pools....
animallover5
Pool resurface question
I am having my pool resurfaced and the supplies were...
lbrandt5
Sponsored Products
Reed and Barton Corp Tiago Chestnut Charger - 15001181
$48.00 | Hayneedle
Geode Stainless Steel One-Light Kashmir Swarovski Elements Pendant Light, 5W x 5
$812.00 | Bellacor
Area Rug: Big Bang Pecan/Chocolate 7' 6" x 9' 6"
Home Depot
Rondelle French Gold One-Light Amethyst and Topaz Vintage Crystal Wall Sconce, 5
$273.00 | Bellacor
Maharam Pillow in Unique
Design Within Reach
Quovis Table
Design Within Reach
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™