Cash offer on a short sale: advice/experience?

kaismomApril 22, 2011

We are making a cash offer on a short sale house.

The seller owes about 500K, 2 lenders. 1 loan 450K, the other 50K.

Our offer: 400K cash, nonfinancing contingency hoping that it will expedite the process. The listing price is 480K now.

We will buy and convert to 30 year mortgage. This will be a rental investment house, not a primary residence for us.

The house has been on the market on and off for 3 years until the short sale listing. They have asked for too much money, above 500k. The house is probably worth about 425K to 450K. So not a huge discount but some...

Anyone with short sale experience, advice?

Does non-financing contingency expedite the process?

We have the contract written so that we can pull out anytime if we find better/other house.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

"Does non-financing contingency expedite the process? "

Not enough to matter.

The big delay will be getting the note holder to sign off.

Banks and lenders do NOT like to lose money.

    Bookmark   April 22, 2011 at 1:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ncrealestateguy

Make the offer and sit back and wait to hear from them. Cash will not speed up the process, but it is more appealing than an offer with financing contingencies.

    Bookmark   April 24, 2011 at 7:36AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Billl

Best of luck - I think you are going to need it. The chances of getting a short sale through with 2 lenders is pretty small.

Just by the numbers, if a house is worth $450k, why would the first mortgage holder take less than $450k? You might have a little wiggle room for the convenience of getting it off their books, but not much. Your $400k offer is going to net about $375k, so they will be losing $75k. That isn't even counting the second mortgage. Obviously, the second lender isn't going to approve unless they get something, so that loss to the first actually has to be larger.

It is possible that they will accept your offer, but I don't think it is likely. The first lender is better off just foreclosing and trying to sell at market value.

    Bookmark   April 25, 2011 at 11:38AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

"1 loan 450K, the other 50K."

The second mortgage holder is likely to foreclose since they will be wiped out if the first forecloses before they can.

Unless they want to lose the entire second they may step up and take the house.

If it is worth less than the first they may view the loss as better than taking on the first mortgage liability.

This is why seconds get a higher rate than firsts.

You are looking at a long path with two lenders, either of whom can kill the deal.

    Bookmark   April 25, 2011 at 1:09PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Specific real estate agent required by divorce decree
Hi real estate agents, does anyone know if it is legal...
martine81684
selling a garden centric property during a drought
I realize that gardens and orchards are not usually...
gwarring
Sell Home, Go to Court Or What?
This may be the first time I have posted asking for...
ncrealestateguy
What qualifies an offer as a "low ball"?
Hello! Im on the house hunting side of things now! I...
karin_2015
something to check when buying a home (pets/carpet)
something i wish i'd checked out before purchasing...
kiki_redo
Sponsored Products
3-Pc. Bamboo Picnic Cutlery Set in Mandarin
$13.99 | Dot & Bo
Ivory Stripe Sheet Set
$44.99 | zulily
Darya Rugs Oushak, Green, 8'4" x 9'10" M1744-322
Darya Rugs
Leucos | Beamer 11S Pendant Light
$760.50 | YLighting
Amici Writing Desk - DK1006
$592.80 | Hayneedle
DiamondCell Light Filtering Shades. Free Samples and Shipping!
$55.00 | Blinds.com
Karastan English Manor Coventry Trellis Red Rug (3'8 x 5')
Overstock.com
Reflecting Pool Niko Swing Arm Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™