So Cal New Pool Build - Questions

ccpNovember 6, 2010

I am just starting the planning process for a new pool build in Southern California. I am thinking about doing a 40x20 pool with a 7x9 irregularly shaped spa, raised bond beam in the back.

Any suggestions on size of pool, baja steps, how many jets and the placement of jets.

I am open to any other feedback as well. The pressure is on now that I get to design and build my own pool. I want to do my best to think of everything, so that when it is done I won't have any regrets.

I appreciate your input and have enjoyed reading so many of your opinions and advice.

Thanks.

Mike

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dalehileman

We live in SoCal as well ccp with a pool about the size you plan. Concerning the location of jets, that's a good question to which doubtlessly somebody more knowledgeable than I will respond.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&expIds=17259,18168,26637,26638,27404&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=swimming+pool+jets&cp=15&pf=p&sclient=psy&aq=0amp;aqi=g4g-o1&aql=&oq=swimming+pool+j&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=80955853b31a6510

We have 4 jets two at each end. However the ones at the skimmer end were blocked by my predecessor, suggesting that for some reason they didn't help move flotsam toward the skimmer port as you might suppose they should

Other than that: Suggest orienting the pool so your prevailing wind helps in that respect

Living near Victorville we warm it in the summer using blue bubble cover which on the hottest days we roll up about 3 hours before swim. It has to be replaced once or twice a year at a cost over $100, trimming it to fit each time but guessing this method ultimately cheaper than gas or solar

......an example how primitive pool technology in a day and age when sending rockets to the moon got to be so so easy they quit doing it 42 years ago. If the Pool Establishment were like aerospace they'd all be built in standard shapes with covers ready-made to fit each one

We use no cover in winter to better observe water color and to more quickly spot the larger creature otherwise slipping in at the edge though I feel guilty about drowning all those insects so we've considered a transparent cover but rejected the idea as suggesting more trimming as well as the possible need for a second reel

Glad to discuss other aspects as dalehileman@me.com

Bookmark   November 6, 2010 at 2:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dalehileman

Aghast at the lack of response I hope this post might bubble up your OP

Bookmark   November 19, 2010 at 1:46PM
More Discussions
New Pool Build Conroe TX
We're very excited to get started on our new pool with...
kands
Please recommend a good pool builder in Southern California?
Hello, We have had a hard time finding a trust worthy...
dpautz
Concerns about quartzscape plaster on new build
Yea, our newly constructed pool was plastered with...
spicegal
hot tub evaporation rate in cold
Ok, newbie here to pool and hot tub ownership. We have...
ladybugfruit
Is it safe to build a vinyl inground with pyrite in the soil?
I have been trying to find information about excavating...
jo229
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™