Drapes

Kim3579May 17, 2012

Hi all! I'm trying to buy ready-made drapes instead of ordering custom, but I have a 12 ft. wall in my formal dining room and the longest ready-made drapery panel is 120". With rod and clips, I'm estimating that's about 18" short. I'm considering the Restoration Hardware Thai Tonal Stripe. Would it look okay to sew a "block" of the same drape on to the bottom of each panel to make them long enough? I don't know if it wouldn't really be noticeable, or if it would look like a "block" type drape, or if it would look cheesy, cheap, and stupid. Another consideration is that I have wainscot up to chair rail height. I could either sew the needed 18" to the bottom of the drapes OR make the seam at the wainscot height. Still, stupid or genius??? Help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
caminnc

Why not use a contrasting solid? I think using all stripe wouldn't work so well.

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 1:27PM
graywings123

And then you need to consider whether an 18 inch addition to an almost 12 foot long drape would look skimpy - unbalanced in relation to the larger section.

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 9:45AM
ratherbesewing

You could add the same stripe to the ready made panel to make the panel long enough. Depending on the size of the stripes, matching could be an issue. I agree with graywings that adding only 18" might be create an off balance look. For a block panel, I think the color/fabric change should line up with the window sill.The seam will be noticeable-that's why you see a decorative ribbon or gimp covering the seam. If you can tackle adding a seam to an existing drape, you could probably sew the entire panel. Cahnging a ready made is time consuming.

Bookmark   May 20, 2012 at 7:18AM
marvelousmarvin

I don't think adding a contrasting solid at the bottom would work when the rest of the curtain is striped. Now, if we were talking about adding a contrasting solid to curtains that were also solid, then that might work.

If you add the same block of striped block of fabric and lined the stripes up, I'm curious to see how it would look. Would somebody be able to notice that you needed to do that to the curtains?

I have a similar problem, and my best option might be to do something similar. Although, I'd love to see examples of that first to see how noticeable it would look.

One thing I do think might be a problem is that you'd have to cover up the seams with ribbon or gimp, and so you'd have this horizontal line running perpendicular to vertical strikes. That might look a bit too busy, with vertical and horizontal stripes clashing.

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 2:34AM
More Discussions
When do bronze window frames work well in the interior of a home?
I'm replacing single plane aluminum windows. My interior...
texasgal47
tibbrix
Is this still in style?
Is blue and brown still in style? I really like this...
FinallyHome
Help me style my living room!
I have no idea what to pair with this tan couch. I...
homestyles2
Need Help Decorating My Bedroom
Hi there, I'm excited to be here! This is my very first...
jenniferdavis1221
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™