Janome Jem Platinum 720

loisflanMay 9, 2012

I'm thinking about buying the Janome Jem as a travel machine. I have the Janome 6600 and love it, and the Jem 720 has many of the same features I don't want to be without. I think I recall some forum members mentioning that they had one. What is your experience with the Jem? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jennifer_in_va

I don't have that one. I do have other Janomes and love the brand.

I've only heard good things about the Jem, though.

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 4:37PM
new2quilting

I have the Jem 760 as my first and only machine and learned to sew and quilt on it the past 5 years. It has a nice variety of stitches and can do a lot. It's light and portable and a 3/4 machine so great for classes. I bought the acrylic table to go with it which helps give more quilting/sewing space and am very happy with the machine. I do have it serviced every year, which can be expensive, and I've paid more for that than the machine cost originally. It doesn't take well to monofilament thread and I have had some issues with things getting caught, but not sure if that's operator error. The feet and parts are reasonably priced. The downside is it's a smaller machine with smaller throat size, so I'm looking for something bigger for quilting now, though I have done all my baby/lap sized projects on it.

--Amy

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 4:51PM
fran1523

I have the Janome Gem Gold which is a mechanical machine. I only use it for classes and travel but it's been a good machine. I also only use it for piecing.

Bookmark   May 13, 2012 at 10:03AM
lindaoh_gw

I have the Janome Jem Gold also. I only use it for classes. I miss the needle down feature when I use it. I would love to have the Platinum 720.
Linda OH

Bookmark   May 13, 2012 at 8:49PM
loisflan

Thanks, Ladies. I am really glad that you like the Jem. I'm just about ready to take my 6600 in for its annual servicing, and I will pick up the Jem then. Next winter, I'll take the Jem with me on vacation so I don't go into withdrawal like I did last winter. You'd think I could go three weeks without quilting, but I really missed it.

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 10:15PM
More Discussions
My 2015 Granny Square Quilt Blocks
Here are some of the different blocks I have been hand-piecing...
quiltingfox
Q.O.T.D.: What does your sewing room look like?
Question of the Day: What does your sewing room look...
quiltingfox
What I LOVE about Houzz!
Now, I'll bet THAT comes as a surprise, right? From...
beth7happy
MARCH 2015 Lotto Block
MARCH Friendship Star 12-1/2" - Black and white...
beth7happy
2015 February Block Lotto
(posting this a bit early so you can get a head start...
toolgranny
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™