Spa Jet & Pump questions

jsjamesOctober 17, 2011

Hi -

I have a pool/spa that was built in early 1990's. It has a separate Spa pump to power the Jets. The jets plumbing is 2" PVC and the pump is located ~50ft away from the spa. There is a separate drain for this pump and it is not connected in anyway through the filter or heater. I don't have any special "jets" in the spa, they just look like 1" i.d. PVC pipe that are exposed throught the gunite. The original pump was a Challenger Pac Fab 2HP - and I was getting good jet action with this pump.

The original pump broke down and I plumbed in a Whisper Flo (WFE-4) which I had in the garage. In looking at the pump performance curves, the Whisper Flow has a little less flow (10-15 gpm, depending on TDH) and so I expected a little less jet power, however, the flow seems considerably less which surprised me.

see performanc curves here:

curves

Question: Would a total 10-15 fpm flow rate (1-2 gpm per nozzle) make that big of a difference on the jets?

To increase the flow rate, I've read that I can change out the WhisperFlo motor and impellor. I'm thinking about changing those out to get to 2HP (WFE-8). I've read you need 1/4 HP per jet, however the distance from my spa->pump seem long.

Question: Any issues in just changing the motor/impeller on the Whisper Flo to get the increased flow?

Question: Does 2HP WhisperFlo seem like the right choice?

Question: Is a larger pump required given my distance from spa->pump?

Many thanks for your help!!

Jeff

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poolguynj

6 or 8 jets?

You went from a 2 HP pump to a 1 HP pump. You're going to lose more than 10 to 15 GPM with that change. More like 20 and yes, that will make a significant difference in performance.

Swapping with a full rated 2 HP motor, changing the impeller and seal set will return your performance. You might consider though, a two speed motor so the power used in normal circulation is reduced.

Scott

Bookmark   October 17, 2011 at 9:35PM
jsjames

Hi Scott - Thanks for the reply.

I have 8 jets.

Regarding getting a 2 speed motor, I don't quite understand why I would use a lower speed for circulation. The "primary" pump motor (which is variable speed) is the one that circulates the water through the filter & heater.

Thanks again,
Jeff

Bookmark   October 18, 2011 at 10:10AM
poolguynj

I missed that this was the spa booster. Then the 2 HP is what you should be using. Especially since there are 8 jets, likely basic Waterway jets.

A 1HP pump trying to push through a loop is going to meet a substantial head loss.

If you have ever seen a pool with attached spa that uses the circulation pump for the spa, you would see the pressure in the filter increase, often by as much as 10 PSI, indicating a significant resistance was being met.

Scott

Bookmark   October 18, 2011 at 12:33PM
More Discussions
Please evaluate my quote for new pool build
I recently received the following quote for a vinyl...
alf87
New Pool Build in Cypress near Houston
This is my first post. I'm so excited to get started...
suzfromtexas
Looking for opinions on pool companies South Jersey...
Also, suggestions for whether people liked their tanning...
Karyn Kettleman Van Buskirk
pool fencing questions: Boston MA area
Can anyone recommend a good fencing contractor? PB...
cambridgefarms
I will answer pool plaster questions
For 23 years I was in the swimming pool plaster industry...
poolplasterexpert
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™