return line plugs

waterouzelOctober 25, 2011

In order to operate my spa overflow properly I need to apply a small amount of back pressure to my pool return line. I have standard swivel type fittings on my 5 pool return outlets. I want to plug or reduce the flow on one or two. The ID of the return fitting is 15/16 of an inch. This will not take a standard pvc fitting. Are there special plugs made for these? I haven't had much luck searching the net. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Waterouzel

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poolguynj

This should be done at the valve that controls whether water is directed toward the spa or pool, not but inserting fittings in the returns.

Scott

Bookmark   October 26, 2011 at 5:52AM
waterouzel

Yes, ordinarily that is correct however this is an unusual pool/spa arrangement. The spa is significantly higher than the pool and I want to use the most efficient speed on my intelliflo that I can. The return water won't reach spa height unless the speed is much higher than I like.

The pool is 16000 gals and uses 3 inch suction and 2.5 inch return lines with 5 pool outlets. My thinking is if I plug one or two of the returns (or just reduce its diameter) I can raise the water using the same pump speed enough to reach the spa valve. I have some rubber stoppers to experiment with but eventually want to use something more secure and permanent.

Bookmark   October 26, 2011 at 3:14PM
poolguynj

You still haven justified not doing it with the valve at the pad.

Scott

Bookmark   October 26, 2011 at 8:46PM
More Discussions
salt or chlorine? pebble or plaster?
We have finally decided to build a pool, and have had...
lostinthewoodlands
changing pool filter
I AM TOLD BY MY POOL SERVICE THAT MY FILTER IS TOO...
rudnick
Baffled by my pool- peeling skim coat?
Hi all! My in ground concrete pool is leaking... I...
sabine77
Pool Filter Question
Should my pool filter run 24/7 or less than that? I...
JeremyLin
Regular Pool Cover or Automatic Cover?
Although our pool project is getting pricier every...
southernmum
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™