Bathroom paint color? with taupe-pink tiles

gretchilouMay 7, 2012

We have a 1950's home with an early 90's bathroom remodel in the master bathroom. The floor, shower and tub surround are all this taupe-pink-gray tile. We much prefer more vintage style but need to work with what we have. We have a white vanity and white molding. Right now the walls are a light creamy beige which look okay but a bit dull. Any paint and fixture finish suggestions to make it a little crisper and not emphasize the pink in the tile? Here is a photo of the tile (not in our bathroom) THANKS!

http://villahomedesigning.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/textured-beautiful-bathroom-tile-2.jpg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teacats

What colors are you using in the master bedroom? In artworks? In fabrics etc.? Color of furniture?

Perhaps if you painted the bathroom in simple fresh white -- to work with the vanity and white moldings? Then add lots of vintage style silver/chrome accessories ....

Then use an accent color to tie the two rooms together ... maybe in towels?

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 5:16PM
Annie Deighnaugh

I think the tile colors, if like the picture, are really nice. Christopher Lowell used to say that you pick out colors from the tile then match the intensity of the color by using the color wheel...so if the color in the tile is 3 steps down from the lightest color, then any paint color 3 steps down will work with the tile. He said that by using a color of a matching intensity, you can tone down the impact of the color in the tile. He redid a bathroom that had a really dated but intense tile color and it was fabulous how it went from being an "oh no" to very intentional and attractive.

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 7:32PM
gretchilou

Thanks for the ideas...I finally found my post again :) Haven't done anything in the bathrooom yet. We have a grey-brown in the master with dark wood and accents to match the duvet which has sage green, terracotta and black..crisp & earthy. We have no curtains but a wall of beautiful 50's style windows and big white wood blinds. Wall art are vintage green maps with black frames. The tiles are just okay for me...I recognize that others would like them but I much prefer subway and penny tile type stuff. They cover the entire floor, the tub surround, the entire walk-in shower and the counters...it's just a bit overwhelming. Right now I have light blue and brown accents but it's not working too well. The fixtures are all brass. There is very little natural light in the bathroom and only one wall that could host a piece of art that is over the tub. Any more ideas?! I am leaning towards picking a super bright accent color...and going with oil rubbed bronze hardware. ???

Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 1:05PM
bronwynsmom

I would choose a soft tone of the gray in the tile for your walls, and use a white with a barely peachy undertone.
I'd paint the ceiling the same color as the trim, to keep the rosiness going.
Sophisticated, calm, and coordinated.

Martin-Senour "Owlet" or "Cindersmoke" on the walls, with "First Bloom" for trim and ceiling would be pretty.
Farrow & Ball "Elephant's Breath" paired with "Dimity."
Sherwin-Williams "Worldly Gray" SW7043 or "Amazing Gray" 7044 with "A La Mode" 7116 or "Venetian Lace" 7119.

Then if you wanted something strong added, towels in pink and burgundy, or deep gray and apple green?
And a little touch of shiny black - perhaps a black marble soap dish and cup, and a slender black frame for whatever you choose for the wall?

Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 1:47PM
bbstx

Although I cannot find the post now, I recently read a blog where the tile was a similar color. The person had first tried a terra cotta color with the tile. It "matched" but was not pleasing. She then changed to a gray-ish lavender pulled from the tile color. It looked fantastic. I think this is similar to bronwynsmom's suggestion.

Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 11:10PM
kswl2

Strongly agree with the gray walls and white with barest peach undertone for trim and ceiling. If your countertops are white, would suggest going black or a shade or two darker gray for the vanity base itself. And I would use satin nickel faucets and fixtures, robe hooks, and all other hardware. The brown of the ORB will make the peach stand out in the tile, not the gray you seem to want to emphasize.

Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 11:36PM
juliekcmo

look at BM Davenport Tan

Bookmark   June 16, 2012 at 10:17AM
gretchilou

I hadn't even thought of gray...which is odd since we have it throughout the rest of the house. The countertops are also the same tile...may have to hank them out, it's just too..much...tile! Worldly Gray has potential since I want to keep it light. Will the slightly peach white empahsize the peachy-rosiness of the tile? Cause I am trying to neutralize it as much as possible.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 1:55PM
gretchilou

here's a photo ...to give you an idea

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 2:04PM
gretchilou

and another...although the red heat lamp is on in this one.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 2:06PM
bronwynsmom

Although it seems counterintuitive, a white with a barely peachy undertone will neutralize your tile better by cooperating with it. Anything that moves farther away from it on the color wheel will intensify the pinkness.

Gray walls will help, because they will cool off the reflected light that will influence your trim and ceiling.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 2:13PM
More Discussions
What other photo sharing site besides Photobucket?
nevermind Ok, so I do need help. I'm done with Photobucket....
SheeshareeII
Budget kitchen remodel
We relocated to a new state, and bought this home last...
reallymelanie
Office ready for window treatments - WWYD?
I finally hung the diplomas and DH's favorite print...
2pups4me
Broyhill lamps -- help!
A couple weeks ago I saw some lamps made by Broyhill...
tammy518
Grey-blue paint
So our master bath is sea glass green (well kinda,...
angiern2004
Sponsored Products
Steel 'Romantic Duality' Wall Art (Mexico)
Overstock.com
Iron Emard Dining Table
$599.99 | zulily
Terrene Snow Cap Planks Glass Tile
$16.25 | TileBar
Elk Lighting Claremore Curio Cabinet - 6042317
$518.00 | Hayneedle
Toned Mahogany Wallpaper R1553, double roll
Walls Republic
Novelty Lamps: NCAA 14 in. Clemson Tigers Art Glass Table Lamp COL CLM 462
$52.49 | Home Depot
Juno 6" Clear Alzak Recessed Trim with Florentine Medallion