Scaling/Calcium on plaster

KWimberlyOctober 24, 2012

Hello. Our pool was finished in May of 2012 and has a pebble-sheen plaster finish. After a few weeks, we started noticing white splotches on the plaster of our pool. We were told to alter our water chemistry. It continued to get worse and worse as the months progressed. We are using a scale inhibitor weekly. We are now being told that most likely when the plaster was mixed, they added too much calcium and that calcium is now leeching out. We are being told they can drain the pool and acid wash off the calcium. Any draw backs to this?? Will it alter the color of my plaster? Any other suggestions?? Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poolguynj

How are you testing the water? Strips won't do it. What are you testing for?

Scott

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 7:56AM
KWimberly

We have one of the standard testing kits. But both my builder and the company that did the plaster don't think it is a water chemistry issue. They are taking full responsibilty. So I am just trying to get opinions on if this is the best or only way to fix.

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 10:01AM
domingos35

that is the only fix ,short of re doing the finish

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 5:18PM
KWimberly

What would it entail to re-do the finish? Any benefit to doing that? The pool will be drained at this point anyway. Thanks.

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 5:30PM
domingos35

chip the current finish and redo it

Bookmark   October 27, 2012 at 12:12PM
bpricedo

It's hard to know if water chemistry has anything to do with it or not without a full set of test results. By standard test kit do you mean the little one the PB gives you that just does pH and chlorine? If so, you should get a real kit like the Taylor 2006 and learn how to use it. That way you can monitor your calcium saturation index and know if you are contributing to the problem or not.

Bookmark   October 27, 2012 at 12:49PM
domingos35

chip the current finish and redo it

Bookmark   October 27, 2012 at 1:16PM
pfkaplan1

I have the exact same problem with my pool. Both the pool builder and the pebble tec rep are denying that its the pool finish. They say its normal variation in the finish., I don't know what to think except that the white splotches were not there before and they are ugly and affect the color of my pool. Used to be beautiful slate bluie... now its aqua... kind of greenishlooking. Only thing I know for sure is ... 1. not algae, 2. calcium hardness is high everything else is in balance. Also the steps are now showing large 'crevices' which the pebble tec rep says they will polish out.... I am really upset with them and confused and not sure where to turn to resolve the white splotch problem. Any help wiould be appreciated!

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 10:25AM
Jayp21

I had pebblesheen installed last fall. Looked great for a few weeks, then we closed the pool. Opened this spring and there were white crystals and a greenish residue on the surface. The crystals have been removed, but the bottom still has some kind of a greenish substance. I don't think it's algae. It brushes off some but not entirely. I've just been keeping the ph low and brushing every few days in hopes it goes away.

Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 9:14AM
More Discussions
Diamod Brite pool color photos
PLEASE!!!! Need to see finished pool pictures with...
Braden Taylor
Exceptional Pool Builders who build in Cleveland, OH area?
My wife and I are beginning the design stage of our...
jc_ufl
Please evaluate my quote for new pool build
I recently received the following quote for a vinyl...
alf87
HELP!! Pool color and pricing with Pebbletec
Help please and fast!! When we started our pool I told...
tonyagrieser
Please recommend a good pool builder in Southern California?
Hello, We have had a hard time finding a trust worthy...
dpautz
Sponsored Products
Tribeca Mini Pendant by Michael McHale Designs
$105.29 | Lumens
Tech Lighting | Single-Feed 12V 300W Surface Transformer Two-Circuit MonoRail
$725.60 | YLighting
Carlisle Set of Two Swivel Outdoor Bar Stools in Black Finish, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
70" Craftmade Olivier Aged Bronze Outdoor Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus
Madison Park Essentials Brady 9-piece Bed in a Bag with Sheet Set
Overstock.com