convection microwave recommendations?

melkel31April 1, 2014

Remodeling our kitchen soon and we are getting a convection microwave to use as not only a regular microwave, but an extra oven for several times a year when I am always complaining that I NEED another oven! ;) Anyway we are going to mount in in a cabinet built in area so not an OTR microwave... Any suggestions on which convection countertop style to get? any help is much appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
andreak100

melkel - make sure that you read and understand the limitations of a convection MW. In reading about them, the standard countertop ones are likely to NOT provide what you're hoping...most people complain the the "oven" part of it is too slow to be of use as a regular oven due to the low electricity draw. Now, if you get one of the speed ovens, like an Advantium, that is built in, you get both the oven speed and the MW ability. BUT, again, you can't get the standard electricity one that they offer (I think it's their OTR model) as it has the same issues that I was mentioning about the regular convection MW.

Bookmark   April 1, 2014 at 7:08AM
RNmomof2 zone 5

We had a Sharp OTR that worked great until it went to the appliance resting place at 15+ years old. My new Kenmore Elite sucks. It takes forever to heat up and then doesn't bake very well. Pizzas take twice as long to bake as in my oven. The repairman says it works fine, testing water temp after x amount of time in it. I told him to eat a pizza after the package amount of cooking time! It would be raw.

My Sharp cooked more chicken patties, nuggets, and pizzas then I can count.

Bookmark   April 1, 2014 at 9:24AM
whitecap

I got many years of satisfactory service from my GE, model JES1290. When it finally started making a lot of racket, I couldn't find the same model. I really needed something more compact, that would't extend past the edge of the counter, when placed sideways on it. The only one sufficiently compact I could find was the Cuisinart Convection Microwave Oven, model CMW-200. I brought it home from Best Buy, with crossed fingers, because of all the negative reviews on Amazon. Many frustrated uses complained that too much heat escaped when one opened the door, after preheating. Well, I don't fool with preheating. I just slap the item in, and add 7 or 8 minutes to the cooking time. Works just fine with biscuits, corn bread, pizza, pot pies (which I prefer to thaw and bake), and the like. I don't think I would try anything likely to splatter, though. Looks like I paid $270 for it, including tax, about a year ago.

Bookmark   April 1, 2014 at 10:03AM
Cindy103d

I have a Dacor and do not recommend it. Even though we have the recommended space around it, the cabinet it's in still feels warm to the touch. Food does not heat consistently. We've stopped using it since we installed the stove, which has a much better quality convection oven setting.

Bookmark   April 1, 2014 at 2:55PM
a2gemini

I love my GE Advantium 240. 2+years.
Just made awesome leftover pizza. Crispy crust and delicious

Bookmark   April 1, 2014 at 6:30PM
More Discussions
1880s house kitchen: need to work in the current space
Note this is cross-posted at suggestion of a reader Plans...
islandgarden
Strategies for washing dishes in a large single sink vs double sink
Hi all, We have in our plans to get a large (33 inch)...
ontariomom
Sexist or Fun?
Trouble from young feminists over this billboard.
Joseph Corlett, LLC
Can you help me make an idea board?
After looking more realistically at our kitchen renovation...
dmeah
Any reason a DW couldn't go next to a fridge?
We need to pull the trigger on our cabinets next week,...
gretchen718
Sponsored Products
Multi Shoe Dryer
$99.50 | FRONTGATE
Silver Oil-Less Fryer
$74.99 | zulily
Sarah Peyton Convection Cooled Soft Support 8-inch Full-size Memory Foam Mattres
Overstock.com
36-inch Stainless Steel Cook Number Grill on Cart
FRONTGATE
Oster 6085 6-slice Convection Toaster Oven
Overstock.com
Sarah Peyton Convection Cooled 10-inch King-size Memory Foam Mattress
Overstock.com
Set of Two 12-in. Extensions
$15.50 | FRONTGATE
1.5-Cu. Ft. Convection Oven
$449.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™