jchangOctober 9, 2008

I'm planning on removing the foam insert between my pool coping and my flagstone patio. I read that you need to replace this with some kind of mastic. Is this a DIY project? If so, does anyone have any advice on what to use and how to do it?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I did my own mastic. Of course my concrete and coping was messed up so I couldn't mess it up any worse really.

Go here to buy it,

I used the Vulkem but I didn't want mine to over-self level because the concrete was a mess. You just have backer rod in the seam and you add sand on top of that so you don't use up all the mastic. You apply the mastic and after it levels to where you want, you put sand on top. You don't have to do the sand on top, but thats the look I like.

The only FYI I can think of is the stuff runs all over the place so it can make a mess if you are not careful and well planned out.

    Bookmark   October 11, 2008 at 12:19AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

One other comment- the foam strip runs the full depth of the joint but should be perforated. You don't want to remove the entire foam strip, just the top section. When you pull on it, it should tear at the perforations. The mastic joint should only be about 1/2" deep.

    Bookmark   October 13, 2008 at 2:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks for the advice! One question that comes to mind: if have the foam strip, do I need to get backer rod or something else to ensure that the mastic doesn't drip down?

    Bookmark   October 13, 2008 at 10:45PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If they installed the type with the perforations then you won't need backer rod. Once you remove the top portion of the strip then the lower portion remains in place and performs the same as backer rod would. Here's a picture of the perforated type of filler:

    Bookmark   October 14, 2008 at 11:40AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Oh - that's good news. I checked and I do have the perforated foam. The foam looks narrower than the gap - maybe by 1/8 inch on each side. Is that ok or should I fill in with sand or something similar?

I was thinking of using Sikaflex 1A to do this. Is that the right kind or should I use something else?


    Bookmark   October 21, 2008 at 1:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Have you inquired as to how much it would cost to have it done by a pro? I'm a big DIY but this is a very visible part of the pool and I'm very happy that I didn't even attempt this. On my pool, two men came out, cleaned out the joint, let me have a choice of about 50 colors, custom mixed the color, and applied the product. I believe they used a 2 part polyurethane. My pool has about 150 linear feet and I was charged $300. It seemed like money well spent.

    Bookmark   October 21, 2008 at 2:59PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
salt or chlorine? pebble or plaster?
We have finally decided to build a pool, and have had...
Inground pool contractor recommendations NJ
Looking for inground pool contractors for Tuckerton,...
Need new pool filter help
I don' t mind spending the money for a good pool pump...
Automatic Pool Covers for Inground Swimming Pool
We are looking to purchase an automatic pool cover....
What pump are you using?
We have a 30,000 gal gunite in ground pool with a small...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™