Mass suicide by moths

dalehilemanOctober 15, 2010

We don't use a cover during the winter so I can better monitor water conditions but hence drown quite a bit of wildlife, largely insects and a few lizards. I rationalize that I might otherwise miss something more threatening, as a drowned dog or cat having slipped around its edge, and I do attempt a rescue of anything still living

However every few years we experience an irruption of moths--thousands every day for as long as a week--and though first thing in the a.m. I do scoop up those still fluttering around before I fire up the pump to collect the rest in the skimmer, I still feel guilty

1. Why do they do it

2. Can I assuage my guilt by arguing (a) they must also use lakes and streams in the same way and therefore (b) isn't this an evolutionary phenom to their ultimate advantage perhaps in limiting their numbers

3. In what other ways might one deal with wildlife, for instance a transparent cover though (a) in my lifetime wouldn't it have cost thousands of dollars to replace each year as with the blue bubble solar cover and (b) wouldn't the two reels interfere with one another

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
just-a-pb

Try this,
Maybe it will keep the moths from drowning in your pool, and help you with your guilt.

Here is a link that might be useful: Moth deterrent

Bookmark   October 15, 2010 at 8:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
racket

Maybe they have read your posts on this and many other forums and said "I give up"

Bookmark   October 15, 2010 at 10:28PM
More Discussions
Is it safe to build a vinyl inground with pyrite in the soil?
I have been trying to find information about excavating...
jo229
Pool Filter question
Hi All, I'm new to this board. Thanks in advance for...
austinyankeefan
Regular Pool Cover or Automatic Cover?
Although our pool project is getting pricier every...
southernmum
changing pool filter
I AM TOLD BY MY POOL SERVICE THAT MY FILTER IS TOO...
rudnick
Looking for advice on indoor pool filter and pump
Hi, I've spent time reading over the archives, but...
gwgjr33
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™