Merlin Smart Mesh and Spa cover question

nypoolnoviceOctober 3, 2010

I got some cover quotes. We decided to go with Merlin, but I don't know if the Smart Mesh is worth the extra money. They say it keeps out sunlight and prevents algae.

Smart Mesh: $3,000

Regular (Dura-Mesh): $2,500.

Anyone with experience know if the Smart Mesh is worth the extra 500?

Also, we have a spillover spa, and we still want to use it now, in October, but the pool needs to be covered because the leaves are flying. Is is common to get a separate cover and keep the spa open for an extra month?

thanks for any input.

John

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poolguynj

Is the spa raised?

Scott

Bookmark   October 3, 2010 at 4:03PM
nypoolnovice

yes the spa is raised 14". They have an "up and over" option, where the straps attache to the deck, or they have a cable option that attaches to the spa wall.

Bookmark   October 3, 2010 at 6:20PM
poolguynj

I would just close the pool. The up and over with wedge bolsters to fill the spaces next to the spa. The Smart Mesh is worth the extra money. Dura-Mesh lets in too much light. Smart Mesh does not stretch and relies on the springs for give when a snow load comes calling but it keeps the light out.

Put an automatic pump on the swim out step, if you have a swim out. It's usually an inch or two lower than the 1st step at the shallow end.

With a two cover system, the spa cover winds up looking like a mess. The wall treatments are just noodles, very lame. They blow away.

One other thing I don't like about Merlin is they don't like to listen to special instructions. When I measure a pool with a dive stand, one of my marks is typically centered at the edge of the pool, centered under the dive stand. When I tell Loop Loc no straps within 12" either side, they listen and Merlin doesn't. Merlin sends a dive stand kit which is a PITA.

Merlin does make a very good cover. I prefer Loop Loc's offering and service level.

Scott

Bookmark   October 3, 2010 at 8:49PM
More Discussions
Swimming laps- Design help
My wife wants to swim laps. Short of building an olympic...
jparkfire
HELP!! Pool color and pricing with Pebbletec
Help please and fast!! When we started our pool I told...
tonyagrieser
Automatic Pool Covers for Inground Swimming Pool
We are looking to purchase an automatic pool cover....
Christy Bell
AquaShield pool enclosure
I have AquaShield pool enclosure for less than two...
aquashield2
Need help with sealing gunite to rock, and black alge
Hey friends! I purchased a house last summer in Houston,...
Klint Turney
Sponsored Products
Gold Star Merlin Unicorn Bust
$27.99 | zulily
Purple Star Merlin Unicorn Bust
$27.99 | zulily
Merlin Floor Lamp
Lightology
Schonbek Merlin 11" Wide Ceiling Gold Light Fixture
Lamps Plus
Merlin Lamp Base
Lightology