Veterans Day

rosajoe_gwMay 28, 2012

My 21yo nephew in Afghanistan posted that they were all sitting around discussing what Veterans Day meant to them. He is in a young aged troop.

He said this is the first time he has really appreciated Veterans Day, in the past it was just a day to have a picnic!

Dh said he was the only vet in his group at AT&T and he always had to work on Veterans Day lol.

The military is cutting the deployment times short for some, so maybe we are starting to pull out. I grew up on the border of Ft. Stewart and the Vietnam War and we have a large number of military in our town so Veterans Day is a big deal for us BUT I am so ready for world peace.

Thank you to all of the vets and their families!

Rosa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
toolgranny

Veteran's Day is November 11th so I assume you meant Memorial Day, formerly called Decoration Day. It also honors veterans and the front of my house is covered in flags in honor of our uncle who lived with us and died last year at age 93. He landed at Omaha Beach and men like him are honored all over the cemetarys today as we remember. It's also a day to remember lost loved ones who weren't veterans.

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 3:03PM
rosajoe_gw

Sitting here without AC is getting to me Linda lol!!! Yes, I meant Memorial Day!!!!

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 4:04PM
sunnycentralfl

Great graditude for our troops and their families for all the sacrifices they have made for us. Both my Bro (a paratrooper) and my oldest son (Navy man) served. I purposely called them to today to thank them, if no one had done that for them yet.

Gwen

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 10:44PM
magothyrivergirl

Memorial Day & Veteran's Day - we should all appreciate the sacrifices the families of all our troops make every single day ~ especially on these days we show our gratitude with flags flying high and parades, too much to eat & drink, and a day off from the normal work to play ~ because we can :)

Bookmark   May 29, 2012 at 8:45AM
More Discussions
Washing polyester quilt tops?
Hello, My granny recently gave me a couple of quilt...
anniebeagle
Q for you re blue jean quilts
A group of ladies and myself will be making quilts...
bev2009
Just finished
Pattern called Diamond Double from Cozy Quilt. If you...
nannykins
Questions about Camp Cheerio retreat
Okay, so I know this is a little early to be planning...
loisflan
Scouting out locations for our next retreat...
I was so excited to meet up with Linda (ToolGranny)...
loisflan
Sponsored Products
Provo Queen-size Mission-style Frame Cotton Foam Futon Set
Overstock.com
Queen 1 020TC Solid Sateen Flat Sheet - WHITE
$645.00 | Horchow
Moonrays Outdoor Lighting. Solar Powered Outdoor Color-Changing Starburst LED St
$29.99 | Home Depot
TRIBECCA HOME Canterbury Louis Phillip White Queen-size Sleigh Bed
Overstock.com
Black Forest Eight-Day Musical Hand-Painted Flowers 13-Inch Cuckoo Clock
Bellacor
Omar the Owl by Vitra
$185.00 | Lumens
Tierra-Derco Standard Rain Saver - 500212
$180.98 | Hayneedle
Sola Rail 5-Head Easy Kit by Tech-Tiella Lighting
$252.00 | Lumens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™