can i paint my hinges?

scrapinsalApril 4, 2008

the backstory: 80's oak, painted cream with glaze. face frame cab with 1/2" overlay.

I want: dark hardware, maybe an orb or aged copper.

Problems:

1.The only dark hinge i can find (amerock maybe?) is very shiny and has copper areas (that are too bright) showing through.

2.i don't want black

3.i dont want a european concealed hinge for various reasons. (the stiles are too small for the big 35mm cup, the mini size ones only open 90degrees, etc)

The questions:

1. should i use the dark hinges that are too shiny even if they dont quite match the handles i choose?

2. does anyone ever use antique brass hardware? i've seen some with a darker, more aged finish that are kinda nice.

3. can my old antique brass hinges be painted? if so, how and with what products? any pics would be appreciated

thanx!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fran1523

Yes, it's easy really. We painted black wrought iron hinges in a bronzey color. Just wash them well in spic and span first to get the grease off. We used a primer and then a spray paint. First one side, then the other.

Bookmark   April 4, 2008 at 8:07AM
mlraff53

I painted mine many times. Use the paint for metals. Have you tried some steel wool to rub off some of the shine off the ones you like?

Bookmark   April 4, 2008 at 9:44AM
rmlanza

I've used the hammered metal finish spray paint on a few things but not hinges. It's pretty cool stuff and really gives a texture to the piece. I'm thinking of suggesting my in-laws use it on their tacky old brass hinges to match their gunmetal knobs. Hmm, how do I tactfully suggest it?

Bookmark   April 4, 2008 at 10:18AM
michelle_zone4

I used the hammered metal paint on my hinges. It holds up great.

Bookmark   April 4, 2008 at 10:25AM
louisianapurchase

Ah, relief!!! When I read the subject line, I was thinking you meant could you just paint the hinges while in the midst of painting the cabinets (while still on the hinges) the same color as the cabinets and I was going to say "In the name of all that is holy, NO!" Again a sigh of relief, pardon for my moment of stupidity. Oh wait a minute, it hasn't been just a moment it has been all day! You may go ahead and proceed to paint your hinges!!!! :)

Bookmark   April 4, 2008 at 5:44PM
igloochic

You're not supposed to do that LP? Because I'm busy with a new kitchen and that seems to be what the PO thought was best....heh heh (thank god the cabinets were scratched from any usable future!) What a mess...latex paint...and it's on the door hinges as well...that I have to take of myself :(

Bookmark   April 4, 2008 at 7:42PM
raehelen

I was thinking the same thing as LP, and then remembered I just faux finished my door hinges in ORB! They look great, and I also spray Urethaned them in a satin finish.

I stripped the lovely solid brass hinges first, and once the layers of yucky old paint were off, they actually looked pretty good, just not the look I was going for.

Wal Mart has about the best prices on spray paint I could find.

Bookmark   April 4, 2008 at 11:07PM
mrsandrews

My dad painted all of our cabinet hinges in the hallway with a stainless steel looking Rustoleum spray paint and it looks pretty good. It doesn't seem to be wearing off either. Good luck!

Bookmark   April 4, 2008 at 11:12PM
scrapinsal

thanks so much for the replies.
LP, thanks for the chuckle. off to purchase spray paint.

Bookmark   April 5, 2008 at 5:54AM
More Discussions
Foot pedals for trash pullout - is H a f e l e the only option?
Don't you love auto correct? H a f e l e is coming...
laughablemoments
Cabinet installation cost (not including cabinets themselves)
We are remodeling our kitchen (complete gut and changing...
schiari211
Week 45: He'p me!
He'p me! I have no idea what to ask about this week,...
CEFreeman_GW
Need floorplan advice/help
Hello everyone! Looking for floorplan advice on our...
K L
Strategies for washing dishes in a large single sink vs double sink
Hi all, We have in our plans to get a large (33 inch)...
ontariomom
Sponsored Products
Talista Wall Mounted 1-Light Outdoor Painted Rust Lantern with White Acrylic
$27.61 | Home Depot
Gray Starry Night Adhesive Wallpaper
$42.99 | zulily
Miris T-2715 Round Pendant Light
Lightology
A & E Montecito Two Tone Hand Painted Bookcase - 36W x 48H in. - MONT3648 BLUE-W
$699.99 | Hayneedle
Papatya | Tiara Chair, Set of 4
YLiving.com
Floral Medallion Coco Wallpaper R1905, double roll
Walls Republic
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™