Remodel and spotter tiles

lilsophieOctober 12, 2013

We are doing a small remodel on our 25 yr old swimming pool. We will be getting colored plaster(I think). All the other finishes are just too expensive. We will be replacing our tile. Right now we do not have spotter tiles on any of our steps. I was thinking of having them put in this time, for something different.
Are spotter tiles dated???
Here's a pic of our 25 yr old pool

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lilsophie

So no one has any comments if Spotter tiles used on steps are outdated now?? I don't seem to see them used much on newer pools, so was wondering all your thoughts on this!!

Bookmark   October 13, 2013 at 8:56PM
pbdb

We put them in on our new pool (just filled with water). When we sat down to go over details with the builder at contract signing he said some people want them and some don't but most do end up using them. Seems to me that not having some sort of indication of where a step or ledge starts or ends is asking for an accident. No one wants to ruin a nice day that way. I think that as long as the tiles used are not something "cutesy" or "trendy" they are not likely to look dated years from now. Ours are basically the same as the pool edge tiles but cut down to 2" squares and placed so they appear as diamonds instead of squares.

Bookmark   October 17, 2013 at 1:12PM
kcwinz

Hi - Our pebble is being installed today so I can post pictures later. We did put in tile to line the steps. Part of it was for safety because we have a shelf that runs the entire length of the pool to the deep end.

We have 6x6 waterline tile and 2x2 in the same color used in the spa spillover. Initially, we were going to use the same 2x2 for step markers. But, then I saw LIghtstream's Shell Beach glass tile strips. They are beautiful! If you goodl LIghtstream Shell Beach you'll see pictures and there are some posts on this forum from people that have used them. They are expensive but they are my favorite part so far. I don't think they look dated at all. I'll post pictures later today when they are done!

Bookmark   October 17, 2013 at 1:54PM
lilsophie

Thanks for the responces. Appreciate it.
Kcwinz, can't wait to see pics of your pool. I'm waiting patiently lol

Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 6:05PM
kcwinz

Hi - It was really foggy yesterday but they did the acid wash and it is in process of filling. It looks much better today and will look better as it fills. I have to say the tile is my favorite part - it is beautiful. I stressed over splurging on the glass tile but it is the best part! So beautiful.

Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 10:28PM
lilsophie

I love it too. Thanks for showing us a picture :)

Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 10:49AM
More Discussions
How to film pool build timelapse?
I've been lurking for months & finally ready to...
Wendy Baldwin
HELP!! Pool color and pricing with Pebbletec
Help please and fast!! When we started our pool I told...
tonyagrieser
New Pool in Louisiana
Wanted to share a few pictures of our new pool. It...
trhought
My pebble sheen finish is so uneven...
Our pebble sheen finish was completed on January 1st...
Susan Scearce
Exceptional Pool Builders who build in Cleveland, OH area?
My wife and I are beginning the design stage of our...
jc_ufl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™