What would you think if you saw an air purifier in a house?

marti8aMarch 19, 2014

I'm decluttering and came across a room size air purifier I had put up in a closet and forgotten about. We bought it when an allergy dr told us dd needed it, but when she left for college, she didn't want to use it anymore.

Dh has horrible allergies and I'd like to put it in our bedroom and use it at night. But if it would look like there is a problem to sellers, I'll just let dh suffer a little longer. ;)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ottawavalleygardener

I wouldn't think anything of it. I can't imagine a buyer being concerned about it at all, many people own these!

I have an air purifier because I have a dust allergy - even with no rugs and regular vacuuming, it is needed. I also have a Merv 11 filter system on my furnace.

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 7:38AM
morz8

It's in a closet now, why couldn't you pick it up and put it out of sight if you are concerned about it when your home might be shown.

I have two that look like tower fans, handle on top. I haven't worried about them being seen, but they'd take about two minutes to put away if I didn't want them noticed.

My former house had a Honeywell air cleaner as part of the heating/cooling, my new house - radiant embedded in the ceilings. We're open (screened) window type people and I saw a difference in the amount of dusting I was required to do especially with tree pollen now present, the purifiers help.

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 11:02AM
dadereni

I wouldn't worry about it. The main reason to put it away would be if it's an obstacle in the room and eats up floor space.

I would be concerned about space heaters and fragrance emitting devices though.

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 11:19AM
Chadoe3

I wouldn't give it a second thought, except maybe "hey I should get one of those!".

I have allergies also and would completely understand the need. It doesn't matter how spotless a house is, allergens are everywhere.

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 1:28PM
nancylouise_gw

As others have stated I doubt that a buyer would think twice about the purifier being out. It's a non-issue. If it bothers you, just put it in the back of the closet when you have a showing. With many people having allergies to many things now a days, these are becoming more and more common in the home. NancyLouise

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 2:21PM
maddielee

Not being familiar with air purifiers I might wonder if having such a machine might be to cover up an odor of some sort.

Keep it in the closet in case you get a buyer like me.

ML

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 2:26PM
saltidawg

"Keep it in the closet in case you get a buyer like me."

You don't look in the closets when house hunting? ;-)

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 2:56PM
artemis78

We have them in both our bedrooms. No particular issues with air quality (except for having a dog). I wouldn't think anything of it, as others have said. Ditto for a humidifier in a child's room. Only thing I would think twice about would be a dehumidifier in a basement or other prone-to-moisture space, if seller had not disclosed any moisture issues.

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 3:33PM
nosoccermom

Interesting question and for full disclosure: When I bought a condo, I was wondering why there was an air purifier in the living/dining room.
On the other hand, a dehumidifier in a basement in the summer would be expected here.
So, I'd remove the air purifier when showing the house (for buyers like me), even though I ended up buying it after all.

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 3:41PM
saltidawg

If I spotted an air purifier I would assume someone had allergies. Possibly ask about it. Certainly my initial reaction would not be concern.

I might ask if I spotted a dehumidifier in basement - certainly would look for any signs of water entry.

This post was edited by saltidawg on Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 16:29

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 3:49PM
ncrealestateguy

If it looks anything like an air dehumidifier, I would tuck it away for showings.

Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 4:16PM
saltidawg

If I were looking at houses and spotted a dehumidifier "tucked away" I'd see a red flag.

Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 4:30PM
ncrealestateguy

Tucked away in this case means getting it out of sight.

Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 7:38PM
saltidawg

"Tucked away in this case means getting it out of sight."

Ya think?

Like one of those places a buyer would never look... like a closet or under the sink? lol

This post was edited by saltidawg on Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 20:19

Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 7:59PM
jane__ny

I sold my house with one in every bedroom. Our family had allergies and we all became accustomed to the sound of the fan running. I never thought to remove them. Buyers didn't seem to notice or was bothered.

Jane

Bookmark   March 24, 2014 at 7:20PM
More Discussions
Realtor company fee
Buyer agent told me there is $300 fee to realtor company....
net42k
can he evict us?.
almost a year ago me and my girlfriend and her 5 yr...
Joseph Gonser
Planning on selling my house
We live in a 35 year old home for ten years now with...
4boyz
trying to buy worried about appraisals
I looked at a house, liked it an made an offer. The...
neobuyer
Home Buyers Please Vote: Would you rather ...
1. A $2,000 kitchen appliance allowance or any stainless...
belfastbound
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™