pool temperature

jvmagicOctober 15, 2010

Hi,

we've had three days of 90+ heat and my solar has been on for 8 hrs/day from 10am - 6pm. The water temp has not gone up much (started high 66 or so and now 73).

I do notice that the filter pressure is on the high side 28+ so I'm wondering if this would make the water not turnover as much causing the water temp to slowly rise.

any other ideas/suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

~jv

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dalehileman

jv your post interests us as we had considered that sort of heating. From other threads I assume the solar heater typically isn't that effective though we must assume there's a matter of its size so how big is yours and more important perhaps, where do you live

Intuitively 28 lb seems on the high side but I can't believe the filter significantly slows flow though you will doubtless hear from others

Bookmark   October 15, 2010 at 2:20PM
jvmagic

i've had my pool up to the high 80's in the past. I'm in San Jose, CA 95118. I don't know how to quantify the size but I have 8 BIG panels on my roof and can normally get 80+ water temp.

thanks again,

~jv

Bookmark   October 15, 2010 at 2:25PM
lbridges

As to size of panels I recommend reading at the U of Central Florida sponsored Florida Solar Energy Center.

http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/en/consumer/solar_hot_water/pools/index.htm

As to PSI values, solar will either require more power (variable speed pump) or reduce flow rates (single/two-speed pump). The amount will value according to number of panels, size and distance of piping, height of panel install, etc. Overall, they are more electrically efficient than a heat pump (for comparable cash outlays).

Bookmark   October 15, 2010 at 4:39PM
just-a-pb

how many gallons is your pool?

Bookmark   October 15, 2010 at 8:48PM
brentr_gw

jvmagic, many factors affect solar heating. We have 1:1 ratio sq footage panels to surface area and we keep the pool thermostat set at 91 degrees. Now that we have cooler nights it is very important to have a solar cover on the pool at night time. Last night the temp went to 50 degrees and this morning my pool temp is 86 degrees. The pump will run about 4 hrs today to get the temp of pool to 91 degrees. 28 psi sounds a little high. My pressure is 22 psi with solar on. I would think that a higher psi would have less flow but I am not sure what the ineffiency would be. What does your psi normally run? Are you using a solar blanket?
BTW we are in Jackksonville Fl.
Hope this helps

Bookmark   October 16, 2010 at 8:20AM
azbabs

How cold are your nights? You can loose alot of heat overnight if it is cold outside. Use a solar cover at night and you won't need to play catch up with heating. I am in Phoenix and can gain 6 degrees on a 90 degree day (75% coverage), but loose 3-4 degrees overnight.

Bookmark   October 16, 2010 at 10:45PM
More Discussions
New constructions questions
I am new to the forum and new to pool ownership. I...
vpace
Pool Filter question
Hi All, I'm new to this board. Thanks in advance for...
austinyankeefan
Looking for advice on indoor pool filter and pump
Hi, I've spent time reading over the archives, but...
gwgjr33
blue stone pool deck
I live in Utah and am building a traditional east coast...
holly6
hot tub evaporation rate in cold
Ok, newbie here to pool and hot tub ownership. We have...
ladybugfruit
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™