If you own a Polaris 280...

dalehilemanOctober 13, 2010

...there's a detail of its construction you might help me with

Though surviving about 6 or 7 years of wear and tear I'm considering replacement of my 380 which works pretty well but the bag wears out quickly and costs $33 to replace. However its base comes apart with a little difficulty and one can fashion one's own receptacle for just a few cents

I reveal this at risk of a Polaris representative learning from my username who I am and where I live, then sending in a bomber or arsonist

But I'm considering a 280 which presently is not only half the price of a 380 but which Amazon customers rate better than any of its successors. So I need to know if its base comes apart as with the 380--thanks all

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poolguynj

Dale, don't sweat the Polaris rep.

The 280 isn't perfect but it is one very solidly designed pressure side sweep. I would expect even you would have a tough time killing it.

Scott

Bookmark   October 13, 2010 at 7:36PM
dalehileman

Scott thanks for that report. But I wonder if you'd happen to know whether the bag base comes apart as with the 380--thanks

Bookmark   October 14, 2010 at 5:13PM
goyom

Dale, ya gotta learn to google stuff my man.

http://www.polarispool.com/poolcleaners/280.aspx

This magic page has at the bottom......

The manual.

Bookmark   October 14, 2010 at 5:44PM
dalehileman

Thanks Goy for that link and I readily admit to laziness but it's not immediately apparent from the instruction book how the bag base assembles while the entire detachment is shown and sold as a single unit

To re-reiterate and possibly clarify, the 380 bag base consists of two plastic rings interlocking around the mouth of the bag but which come apart (with just a bit of difficulty to be sure) so that one may slide them apart substituting a homemade replacement fashioned from some common household fabric

Incidentally in the case of the 380 rubberized rug/carpet non-slip has proven ideal for this use. Thus 2 cents worth of this medium and couple of minutes with the sewing machine can save you $32.98

Otherwise it's as if when you experience a flat tire you have to buy a new car

I had hoped to hear from the actual owner of a 280 whether its bag base disassembled in the same way but apparently such are few and far between, at least in the typical swimming-pool board forum but thank you anyway Goy and Guy for your interest in my query

Bookmark   October 15, 2010 at 12:15PM
thejimbar

Or you could use a nylon stocking.....just think about how much fun it could be fashioning that! You can buy replacement bags on eBay at big discount too.

i have a 280. 5 years , 2 bags.....no nylons....

Bookmark   October 16, 2010 at 12:13AM
dalehileman

Thanks Jim but I've tried a nylon stocking. It slips loose and doesn't last very long. Owing to its rubberized finish the rug non-slip won't pull loose and shows promise of a long life

Re-re-reiterating however, to implement this innovation does the bag base pull apart as with the 380--thank you agin Jim

Bookmark   October 16, 2010 at 11:34AM
More Discussions
Pool builder search sugar land, tx
Hi guys! Were closing on our brand new home in sugar...
mtrade01
hot tub evaporation rate in cold
Ok, newbie here to pool and hot tub ownership. We have...
ladybugfruit
Need new pool filter help
I don' t mind spending the money for a good pool pump...
echooooo
Pool Filter Question
Should my pool filter run 24/7 or less than that? I...
JeremyLin
salt or chlorine? pebble or plaster?
We have finally decided to build a pool, and have had...
lostinthewoodlands
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™