My DH's new quilt top

loisflanMay 5, 2014

Here is my latest quilt top. I made it as a napping quilt for my DH. It's 71x86. I'm on the way to my LQS for some Minky backing. Making this quilt was quite a stretch for me. There were some pretty active prints and colors that weren't exactly what I would have chosen, but I was determined to use mostly pieces that I had bought for another quilt and decided against. It's quite busy, but it feels coherent to me, and I have to say that I like it. Mike really likes it too, and that's what counts. The pattern is Block Buster by Karie Patch Designs. You construct the block, cut it in quarters and then insert the background color in the cuts. It works well with fat quarters too.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
msmeow

Oh, Lois, I like it a lot! I think it's very cohesive. The prints add interest and movement.

Donna

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 11:22AM
nannykins

Really, really good! I like the pattern and your fabrics. As someone said on another post today, we see these neat ideas and get carried away. I immediately started to think which fabrics in my stash would work in this pattern. Thanks for the idea.
Theresa

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 12:20PM
K8Orlando

Lois! I like it! It works perfectly well and your placement of darks, lights, moderate prints and bold prints is wonderful. You've got a great eye. I'm sure he'll love it!

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 12:33PM
quiltnhen

I love it. It's masculine and interesting. Yet another one to put on "the list"!
LindaB/CA

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 2:17PM
quiltingfox

I think it turned out really good. Like your use of guy colors.

Best to you,
Sandra

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 2:21PM
magothyrivergirl

I love it! I bought a Layer Cake of similar colors & bold prints, and one of the designs I am considering is very much like your pattern - I like yours better! Your hubby is going to love it after it is finished!
I agree--you have a great eye for color placement and flair for modern.
(Glad you got your boat launched without mishap -- always a "hold your breath moment" on the first splash. :~)

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 4:38PM
toolgranny

OMG - that is wonderful. I just love that pattern and your colors. I must put that one high up on the list.

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 6:08PM
littlehelen_gw

Lois,
What a fabulous quilt! I think the fabric is perfect for this design...very nicely done! I'm bookmarking that design, just love it!
V.

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 6:47PM
grammyp

What a great masculine quilt. Better watch out he may be napping a lot more now.

beverly

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 8:16PM
nanajayne

It is a wonderful quilt. Like everything about it. Reminds me of the plaid used in sweaters that men used to wear. Just perfect for a mans quilt. Nice pattern and creation. TFS\

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 11:27PM
bee0hio

I love it!

Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 8:49AM
teresa_nc7

Wonderful quilt! Great design and colors! I think this would work in a number of colorways.

Good job!
Teresa

Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 4:30PM
calliope

Oh so nice. Beautiful use of fabrics.

Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 8:16PM
polardreams

Lois,
I think I will be repeating what everyone else has said - I LOVE IT! The colors, the pattern, everything! I, too, am adding this to my list of want to dos!
Sue

Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 10:34PM
lindaoh_gw

Your fabrics are perfect for this pattern. I love it!
Linda OH

Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 11:25PM
loisflan

Thanks so much for all the support. It's so great to have a group of friends who share my passion.

I was able to find a soft grey Minky that looks wonderful with the quilt top and I pieced the binding from leftover scraps of the blocks. Unfortunately, my quilting friend Jill who does all my long-arm work fell and tore her rotator cuff and requires surgery. She will be out of commission for several months. I guess DH will have to wait for his completed quilt. Oh, well, the cold weather is six months away, I hope.

Bookmark   May 10, 2014 at 10:09AM
More Discussions
Fun idea, but need help.
I am an occasional, novice, quilter and am making a...
beteacher
March 2015 Quilting/Sewing Goals
Our March came in like a lamb. How about where you...
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
Spider Web
And I still have lots of scraps!!! The first border...
nannykins
January, 2015 Quilting/Sewing Goals
Here we are in 2015......Black-eyes, collards and cornbread...
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
Old/new names
So I (we) don't lose anyone, I think listing our forum...
jennifer_in_va
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™