Cricut Expression

geezerfolks_SharonG_FLMay 15, 2012

I am in deep trouble! Have been setting up travel plans and plan to be spending some time with my sister in MN next month. Then she emails me and says she has a Cricut Expression she has never used! She won't be able to say that by the time I leave! LOLOLOL Anyone have this and any suggestions?

I plan to start a thread on the Conversations side of the forum so anyone that might be in the area of wherever I am during the 3 months I'm traveling, give a shout and we'll see if we can't meet up, even if it's just for coffee.

SharonG/FL (soon to be IN, MN, MI)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
K8Orlando

Sharon, I'm sure you'll have fun with it! I don't have one but here's a link to a video about using the Cricut to cut fabric; it may help get you started.

What I read said fabric dulls the cutting blade and suggested you have a spare blade on hand. I don't see how fabric would dull it worse than paper would though!

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Cricut Fabric

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 8:35PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Thank you, Kate. My sister said it'll make pieces up to 11.5" so I'm thinking of making a few butterflies, flowers and other designs she might have to keep on hand for those quilts that need a little zing.

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 5:33AM
dlhealdquilter

Sharon, using my Cricut has been one thing I have been trying to perfect. A few things that I have learned: Cut at a slow speed with a deep blade. Pressure should be set at about 5 and your blade should be at 6. I tried cutting the fabric with just my stabilizer pressed the back of the fabric and ran into problems. Recently took a lecture on using the cricut for applique and learned that if you press a shet of freezer paper to the right side of the fabric and have your stablizer on the back of the fabric it works much better. Went home and tried it and it worked PERFECT!

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 10:40AM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Lynn, Thank you so much for the info. I'm going to keep your tip and also send it to my sister. That's awesome!

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 3:27PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

OK, Lynn. We did it your way and no problems!! Thank you. This was the first time for my sister to use it to cut fabric. I think she did awesome! The picture is a bit fuzzy as it was taken with my cell phone and the butterflies and flowers are just laying on the quilt.

Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 6:55PM
More Discussions
Are you quilting this weekend? March 20-22
I hope to spend a lot of time in my sewing room this...
lindaoh_gw
10th Annual Quilt Retreat 2015
Hi Folks! We are beginning the process of planning...
jennifer_in_va
a question regarding binding
I know. I'm just full of questions. I want to make...
donna_loomis
Showing off 2 quilts my Mom made!
She gave me this one: This one is for friends of my...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
First & Second completed quilted table runners I made...
This is the second one I made... I made this for my...
shihtzu4su
Sponsored Products
Area Rug: Noah Packard Dark Chocolate 5' x 8'
Home Depot
Peach En Vogue Wrapped Canvas
$149.99 | zulily
Indoor Area Rug: Expressions of Clover Mild 7' 10" x 11' 2" Plush
Home Depot
Rutledge 2-light Outdoor Wall Sconce
Overstock.com
Indoor 5-light Brown and Chrome Semi Flushmount Chandelier
Overstock.com