What color goes good with Saltillo tile flooring?

missykdiyApril 30, 2009

Our home has saltillo tile flooring in the kitchen and family room. I LOVE white kitchen cabinets but the burnt orange tile makes my kitchen look like a cheap fast food restaurant.

I'm looking for colors for the cabinets, walls and countertop suggestions. I don't have much of a budget, otherwise i would just tear out the tile completely. I'll probably go for laminate countertops or tile. I plan on adding molding (shaker style) to the cabinet doors and adding new hardware.

I really need cabinet color suggestions and wall color. its a dark kitchen with one tiny window. I was thinking a pale green color or perhaps an off white color for the cabinets and i'm not sure on the walls.

here is a pic of what the looks like:

Inspirational kitchens(only in my dreams):

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
missykdiy

Forgot to mention that I will be doing a beadboard backsplash.

The kitchen is really old. I just want it to be halfway presentable. We are slowing fixing up a 70's style home.

I was looking at bm grecian green or paris rain.
thanks,
Melissa

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 4:29AM
sheilaaus122

I don't see why the white would not work with the beautiful floor. Maybe once you add the moldings and finishings to the cabinets they will look less cheap to you? I honestly don't see a problem with white cabinets and your floor, but maybe a solution would be some sort of glazing over the white - like a fairly subtle glazing? SOmeone on here had saltillo tiles and a white kitchen and it looked outstanding. (maybe it was not white white though- not sure. ) Hopefully someone else with a better memory or more obsessed than I will chime in so you can see how great it looked.

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 7:16AM
bill_vincent

What color goes good with Saltillo tile flooring?

Ummmm..... Tequilla? :-)

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 7:46AM
kitchendetective

I love the look of Saltillos. I had them in another house (octagon and dot). They were hard on my feet, but I still love how they look. You can do a whitewash on them, but in those days at least, that didn't wear well. I consider them fairly neutral and organic looking. Search for renofan in this forum for some ideas. She used yellow and blue. Caribbean colors, Mediterranean colors, peaches and pinks (they do not have to be sugary), greens, corals, some reds, creams, etc. This link may give you some color ideas. (I do not know anything about this vendor; I just googled "Saltillo.")

Here is a link that might be useful: Tile

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 9:54AM
cherigw

i don't know how to add a link, but look for Reno_Fan. She did a complete reno of a kitchen with saltillo. . . .delicious!!

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 9:54AM
cleo07

Here's renofan's saltillo kitchen. The before has white cabinets and the after has creamy yellow. Although I loved both of her kitchens, the pale yellow one is particularly stunning.

Here is a link that might be useful: reno's saltillo floor kitchen

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 10:48AM
jeannie_kitchen

We have Saltillo floors that we just installed. We have off-white perimeter cabinets and natural cherry island. I'll post a few pictures for you. We pained our walls and grayish-green, wish I could remember the color, it looks very nice with the floors.

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 11:22AM
pickle2

Love your inspiration photos and the gorgeous saltillo kitchens here! I have a saltillo-lookalike porcelain tile floor. (My floor is probably on the red side with less of the orange/peach tones). I think a creamy white cab color would look gorgeous with the tile. That was something I'd planned to do if I'd stayed in my house. My paint color is Valspar (Lowe's) Epic which reads khaki or earthy green or taupe depending on the light. It's a great warm, interesting neutral. A couple of photos (sorry for the poor quality...they're from the phone). It's an overcast day so little natural light. First shows wall color with floor. Second photo shows wall color with white.

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 11:32AM
ella_socal

I love saltillos, as well, and think white goes well with them. As does a medium brown cabinet (just stay away from having too much orange in the finish)...

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 12:50PM
missykdiy

Wow! those photos of saltillo tile kitchens are amazing! I've always loved saltillo tile flooring. The guy who installed them did an amazing job. I just expected them to be darker for some reason.

I'm gonna try the cream cabinets instead of pale green. Any cream suggestions?

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 2:46PM
lonni_mcd

We did saltillo floors in our last home. I hand stained them to be a bit darker and paired them with cream painted cabinets with an espresso glaze. We loved the look and feel. Best of luck!

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 8:42PM
ella_socal

I found this picture in my folder. That specific cabinet color would probably drive me nuts, but the overall scheme is nice.

Bookmark   May 5, 2009 at 4:19PM
shipshape

GREEN, white, yellow, beige, tan

Bookmark   May 5, 2009 at 9:44PM
More Discussions
What could cause this cracking?
Hi all, I purchased white painted cabinets from a mid-range...
sstrazisar
Those tall coil spring type faucets: Hard to clean?
Like this: http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/6382868/Residential-Coil-Spring-Brushed-Nickel-Faucet-f8de8fec-40cb-4993-a19b-7903391cc178_600.jpg (How...
raenjapan
Cabinet coat for office
I am painting over dark stained builtins in our home...
erinnicole
Quartz Countertop Color
We are going with quartz countertop for our kitchen...
kathy6421
Soapstone with runnels: How are they holding up?
If you have runnels in your soapstone, could you tell...
leavemeout
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™