Deck O Drain use against side of house

cakelady_2010October 27, 2010

Sorry to hog the forum this morn., one more question. I am second guessing use of a deck o drain system against the side of my house that will drain into my landscape underground drainage. I choose not to have overflow or autofill plumbing on the pool. In the situation of having the pool overflow into the yard or during a heavy rain onto the deck, I think there is a chance the water will sit against the side of the house before completely draining off. Will it be possible at this point with the placement of the long plumbing to add regular drains that would connect to landscape drainage in the decking? Will this be a huge upgrade in expense?

Looking forward to anyone with experience here for incite. May need a prepool cold margarita after work today :)

Here is a link that might be useful: The Fun Begins!! Missouri City, TX Pool Build

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brentr_gw

cake lady I also had reservations however when our pool over flows it goes into the drains and we never had flooding issues. Maybe the difference is that we have pavers and some of the moisture does flow into the ground. I also had interior deck drains placed which comes from the downspouts and all flow into a 4 inch underground drainage pipe. Hope this helps

Here is a link that might be useful: Our new pool build in Jacksonville FL

Bookmark   October 27, 2010 at 5:57PM
cakelady_2010

Thanks Brentr for your feedback! I think the deck o drain blends in nice with your pavers. It looks like it is placed midway between the pool and your covered patio. Ours is planned to run along the foundation of the house. I think the round deck drains placed midway would keep the water from running back into the pool and away from our house. I'm not sure since the pool pluming runs in that area if it will be possible though.

Bookmark   October 27, 2010 at 9:48PM
brentr_gw

cakelady the distance from our patio to the deck o drain is 3 feet. There also is an angle so water drains to the deck o drain. As I recall the deck o drain is about 3-4 inches deep so it can be placed any where and would not harm your pool plumbing. The only challenge is that you would have to pull up the deck o drain if you had to repair your pool plumbing.

Bookmark   October 28, 2010 at 7:38AM
huskyridor

If I were building your deck you'd have deck-o-drain against the slab to act as an expansion buffer and emergency drainage. The primary drains would be 4" sdr35 pvc pipe with drains set in the center of the deck between the house and pool as you described.
Don't worry about the pool plumbing pipes, your area is very receptive to catch basin placement, you can move them off center toward the lower side of your porch/pool levels. If the porch and the pool are at the exact same level I'd place them closer to the pool.
You can hook these to the landscape drains if your existing drain pipe is at a lower elevation than the new deck pipe where they will "Y" into the old pipe. Don't let your installer use a "T" to make the connection even if he says it's OK because it's a sanitary T.

See ya,
Kelly

Bookmark   October 31, 2010 at 12:28PM
cakelady_2010

Thank you so much for your detailed response!

Bookmark   November 2, 2010 at 7:25AM
neilaz

If you have deck o drain against your house guess that means the water will flow toward house? Bad idea......

Bookmark   November 2, 2010 at 10:31AM
More Discussions
Remounting aluminum track for a cover in a salt water pool
I've got a CoverPools automatic cover for my saltwater...
nick_shirley
Pool builder search sugar land, tx
Hi guys! Were closing on our brand new home in sugar...
mtrade01
AquaShield pool enclosure
I have AquaShield pool enclosure for less than two...
aquashield2
Diamond Brite and River Rok pictures requested
I've been following this board forever, and after years...
styler32
New Pool Build in Cypress near Houston
This is my first post. I'm so excited to get started...
suzfromtexas
Sponsored Products
Charlton Wall Sconce
$60.00 | Bludot
Missoni Home | Osage Vivid Pillow 16x16
YLiving.com
Krups Fully Automatic Espresso Machine
$999.95 | FRONTGATE
Bocci | 28.3 Pendant Chandelier
YLighting
Area Rug: Smokey Mountain Beige 5' 3" x 7' 5"
Home Depot
Arch One-Line Standard Wall Address Plaque
Home Decorators Collection
Stufurhome 56" Princeton Single Sink Bathroom Vanity with Black Galaxy Granite T
Modern Bathroom
Light Drops Pendant Light
Artisan Crafted Home
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™