changing a room into a bedroom?

jane__nyMarch 27, 2009

I have a fairly large room, 16 x 20, which we have always used as an office. It is on the main floor right off the front foyer. Large windows and its own powder room. It does not have any closets. We have bookcases along one wall.

I know a bedroom must have a closet to be listed as a bedroom. If I added a small closet, can this room be listed as a potential bedroom? Does adding a closet to a room require a permit?

It would be an odd place to have a bedroom, but would it hurt to list it as a 5th bedroom?

Jane

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jenswrens

You need to make sure your septic is rated for 5 bedrooms...

Bookmark   March 28, 2009 at 1:10AM
lucy

I think in this economy, advertising something as 5 bedrooms might even scare people off. If you can afford to add the closet, or happen to at least have 1=2 large wardrobe type of cabinets to put in there, just keep it as an office, and/or put a daybed in there, and let people see possibilities for themselves when they show up. If they need another bedroom, they'll appreciate it alright, but if not, then they won't feel (sight unseen) that the house is too large, expensive, etc. (whether or not the price is on it) and their imaginations will 'make it' into whatever kind of room they want, such as another family room or something.

Bookmark   March 28, 2009 at 4:49AM
jojoco

In my opinion, it is too central for a bedroom. Would feel way too public. I went in a house that is just as you described. It was a tudor style and the bathroom was in the back of the large den. They always used the room as a den, and the bathroom was just that. Ironically, it was the best bath in the house and usually the one the adults used for showering. It was a bit of an awkward setup, so I understand your concerns.
Jo

Bookmark   March 28, 2009 at 9:31AM
tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM

I would not limit it to a bedroom. Few people need more than 4 bedrooms so you are not hurting there. Advertise it as a room with lots of different potential, office, guest room, hobby room, den, etc.

Bookmark   March 28, 2009 at 1:38PM
chisue

I'd add the wardrobes and advertise it as an office/guest room.

Bookmark   March 28, 2009 at 5:15PM
More Discussions
How to Flip. Remodel doubles price of house
The prices are San Francisco values, but it's a terrific...
sushipup1
Driving A U-Haul, Towing A Vehicle Transporter
Well after all the looking and reading we have decided...
splais
Home closing delayed or is it a wash-out?
Hello everyone, I am a new poster, but have enjoyed...
housesellerc
Happy story: my sis just bought her first house
Just thought I'd share a happy story! My sister's been...
robo (z6a)
Lady Realtor coming to house at 6:30pm and its dark outside?
I was looking up homes for sale around me on trulia...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™