Does Fannie Mae Own Your Mortgage?

dave_donhoffMarch 6, 2009

Your mortgage servicer  the company that sends your mortgage statement  should be able to tell you if your mortgage is owned by Fannie Mae. However, if you need further confirmation, please contact Fannie Mae at 1-800-7FANNIE (8AM - 8PM Eastern) or complete our online request form below.

Cheers,

Dave Donhoff

Leverage Planner

Here is a link that might be useful: Does Fannie Mae Own Your Mortgage?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lyfia

I've been so out of the loop lately, so this may sound dumb, but is there a reason I need to know whether they do or not?

Bookmark   March 6, 2009 at 9:42PM
dave_donhoff

Hi Lyfia,

You might qualify for the Obama-plan bailouts;
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/realestate/msg0314583220481.html?3

Dave Donhoff
Leverage Planner

Here is a link that might be useful: Homeowner Affordability Modification Plan

Bookmark   March 6, 2009 at 9:53PM
lyfia

I doubt we qualify for anything under the Obama plan except higher taxes.

Bookmark   March 7, 2009 at 8:03AM
classicalone

Dave - I came here today to ask that very question - how to find out if a mortgage is owned by Fannie Mae. It's actually for my sister that I want to find out.

Another question that hopefully you know - or can tell me where to look - Will the bailout help if you're already behind on your payments? What about if you're behind now, but get caught up?

Thanks,
Alice

Bookmark   March 9, 2009 at 7:16PM
dave_donhoff

Hi Alice,

Will the bailout help if you're already behind on your payments? What about if you're behind now, but get caught up?

The answer is YES*

(* there are two aspects to the Obama bailout...one is refinancing, which may NOT be available even if you've got some lates or defaults but are not in foreclosure. The otehr is an outright loan modification which IS available if you've been late, behind, or are in default (as long as you have some stable employment to make the newly modified paymetns.))

MUCH of the actual details are STILL uncertain yet... and if you (or your sis) try calling your loan servicer, most folks are getting endless phone-holds and/or "answer unknown" responses still.

As we all figure it out (and the govie & their minions in Fannie, Freddie & GinnieMae) figure it all out... you'll doubtlessly have a chance to take advantage of it.

Cheers,
Dave Donhoff
Leverage Planner

Bookmark   March 9, 2009 at 7:26PM
eric_92037

Also if you have or plan to get a credit report from TransUnion, the mortgage type may be listed. Why TransUnion would have to show or need to know my mortgage was a fannie mae is beyond me but it was there.

Bookmark   March 10, 2009 at 1:03AM
bethesdamadman

lyfia: "I doubt we qualify for anything under the Obama plan except higher taxes."

In that case, congratulations on having an annual household income of over a quarter of a million dollars!

Bookmark   March 12, 2009 at 11:55AM
twit

Not sure that congratulations are in order quite yet for Lyfia as she may be referring to the chances of anyone escaping higher taxes irregardless of their annual household income. At some point it will be time to "pay the piper" and I don't think that the minority consisting of those making over 250k a year will be able to foot the bill for all of this. Just doesn't seem that the math is adding up at this point. But hopefully, I'm wrong as we aren't in that minority, but would love to think we might reach it at some point. Not sure how I feel about being punished if we do. But that is another subject entirely.

Bookmark   March 19, 2009 at 12:33PM
More Discussions
Preparing to list starter home w/o dishwasher etc.: how big a problem?
When I bought it and redid the kitchen, I replaced...
gramarows
Planning on selling my house
We live in a 35 year old home for ten years now with...
4boyz
CO inspections...and other issues/questions
Son is buying a 1951 home. Inspector noticed the top...
cindywhitall
Negative connotation of listing "As is"?
I'll try to put our situation as simply as possible: We...
pinkpaula
Driving A U-Haul, Towing A Vehicle Transporter
Well after all the looking and reading we have decided...
splais
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™