What if I find my own buyer?

deanie1March 10, 2010

I have had my house listed for about 2 1/2 weeks and was talking about it at work when a co-worker expressed interest in my house. I am not sure how to handle this. Should I let her see the house? Ask her if she's pre-approved? I do not know if she is working with a buyer's agent or not. And what do I tell my listing agent? If my co-worker wants the house should I try to negotiate for paying less than the full 6% commission? My contract says 3% to my agent and 3% to the buyer's agent. Thanks so much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mpinto

Read the details of your listing agreement. If your agent has an "exclusive right to sell", you will still owe her the commission.

Bookmark   March 10, 2010 at 7:34PM
susanjn

Give her your agent's card.

Bookmark   March 10, 2010 at 9:56PM
idrive65

When I sold my house the commission was 5% whether my agent had to split it with a buyer's agent or keep the whole thing. If it were me, I'd direct the co-worker to the agent and step out of the picture.

Bookmark   March 11, 2010 at 11:40AM
Carol_from_ny

Usually unless someone was specifically exempt from the contract the agent gets their percentage. READ your contract!

Bookmark   March 11, 2010 at 1:45PM
mauirealtor

Aloha Deaniel, depending on the type of listing contract that you sign, you would still have to pay your listing agent the commission agreed upon (exclusive right to sell), or you might be able to sell the house on your own while still being listed (exclusive right to list, but most agents dont like this type of listing as they are competing with the owner to sell the property). If the agent has the exclusive right to sell, I would ask your coworker if it's ok that the Realtor contact her and allow the process to unfold (your agent is a professional representing your best interest, let them do their job and earn their commission).

Here is a link that might be useful: Buyer's Articles

Bookmark   March 11, 2010 at 2:04PM
mariend

After what I went thru dealing with friends and coworkers, I would hand them a card and tell them to contact your agent. Too many people just wanted to snoop around and really were not interested. I would not show the house, or even discuss it with them.

Bookmark   March 11, 2010 at 3:41PM
sylviatexas1

As Marie said, lots of times people are just curious...
& if they are indeed interested in the house, they'd be in an awkward negotiating position...& so would you.

mauirealtor, it's against gardenweb's rules to advertise your own business on the forums, as your links do.

Bookmark   March 11, 2010 at 4:38PM
More Discussions
1031 Reverse question
We already purchased an investment property and are...
Patience Spina
pros/cons of first floor master
I've looked at several newish (1990s or newer) homes...
hairmetal4ever
what do you do with mail that comes for previous occupants?
I always get mail that is meant for previous occupants...
tlbean2004
Considering downsizing Advice desperately needed!
Have you downsized? I could use your input. Desperately...
jcorn1
New front door--ok to put lockbox on back door?
We have a new (quite expensive) front door and screen...
pinkpaula
Sponsored Products
'What A Ride' Wall Sign
$24.99 | zulily
Franklin Chair - Key Largo Pumice Beige
Joybird Furniture
iPhone Photo Printer with Lightning Connector
$159.00 | FRONTGATE
Chalkboard Jar - Medium
$22.99 | Dot & Bo
W Lounge Chair in Red
$798.00 | LexMod