12 Volt Pool Light / 110 controller

tgmccallieOctober 25, 2010

I have a 12 volt Hayward Color Logic pool light that I want to use to replace my present 110 volt one.

I have a Fiberstars 110 volt controller (wireless). Can I use it with the 12 volt light if I use a 12 volt transformer to reduce the voltage to the light?

Should I reduce the voltage before it goes to the controller or after the controller before it goes to the light?

The controller does not have a timer clock. It has 3 switches, the first one for the light and 2 more that can be used for spa or other 12 volt apparatus.

The switches turn off and on as well as manual and remote. You switch it to remote to use it wireless.

Any suggestions as to if I can use the controller and if so what would be the best configuration?

If I want to use all 3 switches as 12 volt I guess I would have to reduce voltage before the controller. If I reduce it after the controller, I think I would have to wire the light directly from the transformer and that would leave the other 2 switches as 110 volt ones.


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I too had a 115-volt obviously inteded to electrocute the swimmer till replacing it with 12-v sealed-beam headlight

I placed transformer outside pool area in junction box which formerly contained only wiring twists. Other participants more familiar with your setup will doubtlessly elaborate but in any worst case of transformer leakage or wet wiring use also GFI as far back in the system as feasible

Meanwhile I shall fwd a link of this thread to several of my more knowledgeable pool buddies then fwd any response here

    Bookmark   October 25, 2010 at 1:07PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Which fiberstars unit do you have?

    Bookmark   October 26, 2010 at 12:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Sorry Tg but I don't use the unit, everything I have done is off-the-cuff but doubtlessly somebody else more familiar with the conventional outfitting will respond shortly

    Bookmark   October 26, 2010 at 12:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

TG, use a light switch in an enclosure to supply power to the transformer that supply's the light fixture. Get power from a GFCI breaker to the switch.

Don't use parts from other equipment. That's not only against code but is not just asking for, but rather is DEMANDING problems you don't want any part of.


    Bookmark   October 26, 2010 at 4:57PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

TG - If you are going to use the controller, I would have the controller switch 115VAC from a GFCI protected circuit. Many contacts rated for switching AC may have a low amp rating for switching DC. DC by definition does not have a voltage zero crossing and the arcing may prematurely fail the contact. Switching DC will also result in a higher switching current 50W @ 12VDC = 4.2 amps, 50W @ 115VAC = 0.43 amps. If you want to switch DC check the relays specifications.

Also consider that the low voltage transformer must be rated a for swimming pool or spa application. These transformers have isolation between the 120VAC and 12V.

    Bookmark   October 27, 2010 at 10:09AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Our Pool Remodel with Mr. Carlos Pools
So after much searching and many quotes from diffirent...
Looking for advice on indoor pool filter and pump
Hi, I've spent time reading over the archives, but...
Need advice on 48 refrigerator remodeling my kitchen
What 48 refrigerator built in looks and performs best...
Forty year facelift: OKC pool renovation
Hi everyone! I've been chronicling our pool renovation...
hot tub evaporation rate in cold
Ok, newbie here to pool and hot tub ownership. We have...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™