Long Arm Machine rental

fran1523May 18, 2011

Two area quilters who live in the next town to me have opened a business where they rent time on a long arm quilting machine. Today I took the introductory course to learn the basics of how to set up your quilt and operate the machine. Then I had almost a whole hour to play at the quilting and try different designs. I am excited to have this opportunity because I might actually get all my quilts finished.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
msmeow

Fran, how fun! There are shops here in Orlando that rent time on their machines. Even though I have my own frame/machine setup, I should probably go take a lesson or two just to see how to do it right!

Donna

Bookmark   May 18, 2011 at 9:27AM
grammyp

Oh, I would love some classes, would cut down on my learning curve. Enjoy Fran, it is great fun.

beverly

Bookmark   May 18, 2011 at 11:24PM
polardreams

Fran, that sounds like lots of fun. I wish someone in my area did that (although I would probably want to buy my own machine after using theirs!) Be sure to post some pictures when you get your projects finished.
Sue

Bookmark   May 19, 2011 at 10:10AM
dian57

Do you mind if I ask how much they charge per hour? I'm wondering if it's cost effective.

Although, regardless of cost, it does sound like a lot of fun.

Bookmark   May 21, 2011 at 2:06PM
fran1523

The required training class was $75 for two hours of individual instruction. That included a set of zipper leaders that you need to put your quilt on the machine. The leaders are reusable. After that the hourly rate is $20 and someone is always there to help you if there is a problem with the machine or to change a bobbin. I think after you have 20 hours of rental time, the rate goes down to $15.

Bookmark   May 22, 2011 at 10:37AM
csackett

I rented one in Conway, but it has since closed. I've heard there is a shop in the Shreveport/Bossier area that rents their longarms. I'll check it out as soon as school is out. I paid $20 an hour after I took the first class ($25). It was lots of fun. I'd need more practice to custom quilt, but for charity quilts my level of quilting was OK.

Bookmark   May 27, 2011 at 10:09PM
Derlene

Hi, I'm kinda looking into upgrading from a home-made frame and a Juki, right now I'm thinking about getting my Juki stretched and getting another frame that has an easier mobility, I would really like some input on a good frame or even getting another machine with a frame combo if I can find one at a reasonable price, thanks for any help you can give me.
Derlene

Bookmark   May 28, 2011 at 9:42AM
More Discussions
My Mom's cross-stitch bookmark
I took a brief break from quilting the last 2 weeks...
quiltingfox
how large is your design wall?
I was just wondering how large everyones design wall...
redpenny
January, 2015 Quilting/Sewing Goals
Here we are in 2015......Black-eyes, collards and cornbread...
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
National Quilting Day March 21, 2015
The third Saturday of March is National Quilting Day...
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
Trying to locate quilt pattern
I know it's been awhile since posting and I'm not sure...
Vanislegirl88
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™