Total newbie, diy inground spa?

enigmaquandrySeptember 5, 2011

I am completely new to the world of pools and spas. The hubby is from Alabama and bringing him up to the land of snow and cold, I'd like to make him an inground hot tub in the backyard. I'm open to any ideas for a simple diy job (though I understand these things aren't simple). I've considered fiberglass shells but they're a little too $$, livestock tanks, but I'm not sure they won't crack when buried in the freeze/thaw cycle. I'm recently thinking about pond/pool vinyl liner? Really we only need/want this thing to be quite small, maybe four people in it at the very most. We need it to have a filtering system and preferably some sort of heating/jet system. Realistically our budget is 1,000 or under but we are prepared to do ALL the work ourselves...we just need some experienced direction!

I am looking for any leads, links or ideas whatsoever, I really appreciate it!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poolguynj

Just the pump, filter and heater will cost more than that. That doesn't cover the controller, electrical, plumbing, or the sitting area.

Scott

Bookmark   September 8, 2011 at 7:37AM
enigmaquandry

Hmmm, maybe I need to rethink some things. I had expected the components to be around $400ish, maybe I was thinking too low...

we're thinking of simplifying to perhaps no jets or heater, so really just a small, pool with a pump and filter. I'm not sure the best way to go about that, but it might be a more realistic approach.

Bookmark   September 9, 2011 at 10:31PM
goyom

I searched DIY hottub on google. This was the second result LOL.

http://www.wcc.net/~jkmccoy/hottub/hottub.htm

Bookmark   September 10, 2011 at 1:23PM
theballs

As silly as it sounds, I plan on doing exactly what the guy in goyom's link did, well, with a few changes to make it look a touch more built-in....something like the pic below. My goals were to have a small wading pool that can be heated into the 80's for March/April and Oct/Nov. I dont really want a 100deg hot tub...I started out searching for a hot tub, but I really dont want all the molded interiors, I really just want an inground small wading pool. My parents have a nice pool, and our YMCA has a GREAT pool..huge, beach entry, tons of fountains, etc if we really want to go swimming. But to lay on a float, and add a pretty element to our backyard, this should suffice.

Bookmark   September 12, 2011 at 11:55AM
More Discussions
hot tub evaporation rate in cold
Ok, newbie here to pool and hot tub ownership. We have...
ladybugfruit
Pool Filter Question
Should my pool filter run 24/7 or less than that? I...
JeremyLin
Our Pool Remodel with Mr. Carlos Pools
So after much searching and many quotes from diffirent...
evepineda02
Need new pool filter help
I don' t mind spending the money for a good pool pump...
echooooo
New Pool in Louisiana
Wanted to share a few pictures of our new pool. It...
trhought
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™