problems with autofill

davidpolingSeptember 23, 2011

My PB kind of abandoned me at the last stage of construction and never hooked up my poolmiser autofill. It didn't look too difficult so I went ahead and hooked it up myself via the hose bib on the house and underground PVC. I have 2 other "satellite" hose bibs on that same line (not to be used simultaneously of course) and a vacuum breaker. I got it all hooked up and it seems to work ok, but anytime someone jumps into the pool the valve opens and closes over and over until the water settles back down. It wouldn't matter too much to me, but the vacuum breaker "spits" a little every time there's a sudden jolt of pressure change. Has anyone else ever had this issue or am I just doing something wrong.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poolguynj

How deep in the pool is the opening to the autofill?

The water line feeding the hose bibs may need an anti-hammer device attached. Its basically a shock absorber for the water in the pipe that stops suddenly.

Scott

Bookmark   September 24, 2011 at 10:26AM
davidpoling

The end of the pool at the autofill is only 4 feet deep, but it also has a swimout maybe 6 or so inches below the water equalizer line with the water line 6 inches above that.

I'll look into that anti-hammer device. Does anyone know if they reduce pressure?

Bookmark   September 24, 2011 at 3:01PM
poolguynj

The opening between the auto filler and the pool is usually at least 18" down. most of the currents are near the surface, hence the changes in depth in the auto filler's chamber.

The anti hammer devices are usually an air bladder in a vessel. Since water doesn't compress, the momentum is absorbed by the bladder, killing the hammer effect.

Scott

Bookmark   September 24, 2011 at 3:07PM
More Discussions
Pool builder search sugar land, tx
Hi guys! Were closing on our brand new home in sugar...
mtrade01
salt or chlorine? pebble or plaster?
We have finally decided to build a pool, and have had...
lostinthewoodlands
Forty year facelift: OKC pool renovation
Hi everyone! I've been chronicling our pool renovation...
MiaOKC
New Pool in Louisiana
Wanted to share a few pictures of our new pool. It...
trhought
Need advice on 48 refrigerator remodeling my kitchen
What 48 refrigerator built in looks and performs best...
mercedes316
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™