5/16/11 qotd

sandlapper_roseMay 16, 2011

Have you ever made a fabric/cloth book? I would love to see what you made pictured here or to get some advice.

I want to make one for each of my triplet grandsons. They are babies so I am mostly thinking about a picture of a bird on one page, a picture of a dog on another, a train on another, etc. and trying to find fabrics that have common things like that and then sew the pages so that there is a picture on each side and batting in the middle. I am trying to avoid using applique.

How did you bind the book if you made one? How many pages work well?

I have seen some fabric books that include shoelaces, windows that open, etc. but that is more advanced than I want to do with this - thinking just pictures for this time.

Hope a few of you have words of wisdom to share.

Jeanne

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
magothyrivergirl

Jeanne, are you aware there are panels for making baby books?

If you want to be really creative~you could divide the alphabet & each little guy get his own set of letters. Of course when he goes to preschool and starts singing l-m-n-o-p before a-b-c you will know why ~lol.

This is only the beginning of making the same, but different, for you to sew for them - what fun!!

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 8:57AM
grammyp

I haven't made one, but if you need some boy I-spy fabrics, I have LOTS. Perhaps a theme to each book (bugs, toys, nature, sports, food ...)

beverly

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 9:31AM
karpet

When I was little I had one - My Quiet Book. I liked it so much that I made one for a friend's little boy. Here is a blog site that is very similar to what mine was.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quiet Book

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 10:19AM
quiltpartner

Jeanne,

The simplest fabric books I've seen are Gr-rr!!(I wish I could either SEE you or draw on here!!)

If you make a block as if making a pillow - using a pic on both sides, sandwiched w/batting in the middle. Leave the side closest to the spine open, with a large seam allowance, you can trim later. The easiest method is to then sew 2 together side by side (making a rectangle). Once you have all your pages made, simply sew down the center, dividing your pages, & creating the book's spine. I have seen them with a coordinating fabric, cut into a rectangle, sewn along this 'spine' to give it more of a book appearance(almost like appliqueing the spine). Sorry I can't explain this better - oh for pictures!
Have you googled fabric books at all? There could be a tutorial out there!! I'll do some digging for some pics in any of my gazillion quilt books. Good luck!

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 10:36AM
quiltpartner
    Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 10:38AM
kay_in_pa

I've made several from panels for my grandson. One I bought had a page that was printed upside down. That one was a challenge, but in general they're pretty easy.

Bookmark   May 17, 2011 at 10:51PM
kay_in_pa

I also made one from a pattern that was adorable! It was either McCall's or Simplicity. It has an ear of corn that zips open with gold tassels hanging out, a crinkly butterly with wings that flap, a dog that can go in and out of a doghouse.. each page had some sort of "action". That one was really fun to make!

Bookmark   May 17, 2011 at 10:53PM
sandlapper_rose

Thanks for all the suggestions and help. I will definitely try the more complicated versions for each when they get older. What great ideas! Right now the triplets are only 2 1/2 months old and were preemies so basically newborn at this point... The first books I make will be plain and simple. I want something they can wave around, turn pages, and pat - and with using fabric - they can get washed as needed. LOL
I pulled up some of the sites and was amazed at all the ideas where things can be moved around using velcro. I will definitely look into that later on.
Thanks again.
Jeanne

Bookmark   May 18, 2011 at 10:17AM
sunnycentralFL

Many years ago, I made a fabric book of the Lord's Prayer. I used a word processor to print the letters on fabric I ran freezer backed fabric thru the printer. Then I just used juvenile scraps on the four corners of each page to highlight the words in the center. Next, I sewed 2 pages together and turned it to the right side, stacked them up and put them in between the title page and last page and sewed them inside like a spine. Real cute and made long before all the blogs that are sew helpful today.

Actually, the cover and back page were a long rectangle that held the "pages" inside until I could sew the "spine".

Several computer crashes prevents my posting a pic!

Gwen

Bookmark   May 18, 2011 at 11:25AM
Carol_from_ny

I liked the preprinted panels for the books. They have them in all sorts of characters. It's a matter of finding the character the kids like. The directions are printed on the end of the panel. Very, very easy!

Bookmark   May 18, 2011 at 1:23PM
polardreams

I, too have made the from the preprinted panels. They are easy and so soft and washable! I like all of the ideas for making your own but will wait until I have my own grands before I take that challenge on!
Sue

Bookmark   May 19, 2011 at 11:38AM
More Discussions
Old/new names
So I (we) don't lose anyone, I think listing our forum...
jennifer_in_va
Wahoo and Thank You
Thank you so much to all that submitted blocks from...
ibquiltn4fun
Spider Web
And I still have lots of scraps!!! The first border...
nannykins
MARCH 2015 Lotto Block
MARCH Friendship Star 12-1/2" - Black and white...
beth7happy
My Mom's cross-stitch bookmark
I took a brief break from quilting the last 2 weeks...
quiltingfox
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™